News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

flotation foam

Started by Gerald A. Gotts, May 10, 2009, 11:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerald A. Gotts

Hey everyone, I've been away  sailing....nah, I wish.  I've been workin though.  Anyway, what kind of foam should I use for flotation in my dinghy.  I have the sealed seats with foam flotation.  I've dug out the old waterlogged flotation in the stern seat.  Gosh that took off 75 lbs. weight at least.  Now before I glass the seat what kind of flotation should I use ?  Spray foam ?

Thanks everyone,
Jerry
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

CharlieJ

NOT spray foam- it will absorb water.

I like the blue styrooam myself, or even just white Styrofoam blocks.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

If you're going to use the white or blue styrofoam, do yourself a favor and cover it with a layer of fiberglass using epoxy resin. DO NOT USE POLYESTER or VINYLESTER RESIN—the styrene in the *ester resins will eat the styrofoam.  The reason I say you should put a layer of fiberglass over the styrofoam is to protect it from damage.  Spilling a lot of common chemicals, including gasoline, will damage styrofoam unless it is protected in some way. Also, a layer of fiberglass or two will make it less likely to absorb water, fall apart, or get damaged by impact.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v necessity

I've used this stuff for some work, and am happy with it.  I'll use it in my dinghy when I build it.  And John is easy to deal with.

http://www.jgreer.com/Foam%20Page.htm

CharlieJ

Good point about the resins. But I doubt he's gonna need glass for protection, since he's sealing it into a seat- won't be exposed.

Quote from: Gerald A. Gotts on May 10, 2009, 11:54:19 PM
I have the sealed seats with foam flotation. 
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Gerald A. Gotts

Yes, Thanks Charlie.  It will be completely enclosed by a fiberglass  seat.  Hey , while we are talking about dinghies.....I need to operate my dink from the middle seat as I'm afraid I would sink operating from the stern.  What ideas has anyone got for a homemade tiller extender ?  The old broomstick and hose clamp idea ?
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow