Brand New (to me) 1977 Hunter 27

Started by Greenman, May 19, 2009, 06:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenman

So, I am finally a yacht owner. No blue blazer with white shoes yet, just mildew, deisel and bottom paint crud.

Yesterday was a great day  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0KSPrhrbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbwMVrRuv0U

1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Frank

CONGRATS  ;D ;) :o     Grog to ya     More pics please
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Greenman

LOL I will post all I have, but all they do is highlight how much work I have ahead of me :D

Current Nav Station (I have plans though)

Head WILL be replaced, likely by a porta potti style with a pump out/overboard option

I may remove this sink, it will get rid of 2 holes in my hull and then replace it with a hanging locker for wet stuff. Besides it is a small boat, the kitchen sink can wash hands too.

www.SYClub.ca

Greenman

Electronics

And some exterior pics.

www.SYClub.ca

Greenman

Could this be moved? I must be overly exposed to fumes today. This has nothing to do with books.
www.SYClub.ca

newt

Everything can be moved, it just depends how much you want to pay for it. ;D It looks lNike it is all there, just needs going through and cleaning up. I would think about some bottom pain before you splash it, of of course check all your thru-hulls and possible leaks.
"Nothing works on this old boat but it's owner"- saw that somewhere. :D
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

CharlieJ

Newt- he was asking the thread to be moved to a more appropriate section. And it was done.

;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Greenman

LOL, I guess I should have been more explicit, thanks for the help.

I finished a light sand and wash of the hull today, paint will go on tomorrow if the weather hold up. All the through hulls are tight and seacocks work, so hopefully no leaks. 9 days and counting to launch day :)
www.SYClub.ca

maxiSwede

Congrats on the new- to U - boat.

The only thing that looks bad is that crappy plastic carpet on the cabin sole.... if you forgive me for expressing a quite personal point of view  ;)

Anyway, go ahea and have fun!

BTW, the boat looks VERY shallow draft, or is it something with the angle the pic was taken from?
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Greenman

LOL The sticky tile parkay fake floor is high on my "to do" hit list, and yes the draft is 3'3" and 3200 lbs on a 7000lb displacement boat.

Right now though I have to deal with a couple of minor mechanical issues and really giving it a good cleaning with a fresh coat of white paint inside the lockers and all the rest of the storage areas, then comes the teak, and then the floor.

Should be fun.  :-[
www.SYClub.ca

jotruk

Congrats on the new (2u) boat. I have a Hunter 27 also it is a lot of fun to sail and handles well. Place 2nd in last weekends club race.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Greenman

And here is the new bottom paint, it really needs a complete bottom job done I think, but I don't want to waste this season on the hard, so I just did a powerwash, light sand and new bottom coat.

Still looks much better IMO

www.SYClub.ca

Chattcatdaddy

Keith
International Man of Leisure

newt

Uhh..Thanks Charlie, I will try to engage my brain before I start typing next time. I think I going to try to forget about this thread and hope Greenman gets advice from people that are awake.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

captain cajun

Greenman,  very happy for you congrats! ;D
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

dnice

congrats on the purchase!
I think I saw your youtube video of the pre-buy :)

I think thats a great boat and will probably take you a lot further than you are imagining (or are being told).

What are you cruising grounds? and do you have any plans for taking it outside your cruising grounds?
just curious.

Get that baby in the water and go :)

Greenman

I am in Nova Scotia and will be sailing the Halifax Harbour, maybe with a week trip down the coast to Lunenburg in July, then a week up the coast in Spetember. All dependant on how much I get out before then. I need all the experience I can get in the Harbour before I venture out alone. I am pretty much assured 3 trips a week (Wednesday night racing, then the weekend).

Already things are looking way better than the video, with the new bottom, engine tune up, thourough cleaning and paint inside. Here is a list of what needs to be done by next Saturday. It will be a crazy week. Some of my list is done, but lots to go still.

CHECK/CLOSE ALL SEACOCKS & LUBRICATE

ADD INSPECTION PORT TO FUEL TANK

CLEAN TANK

CHANGE FUEL FILTER

CHANGE OIL

BUY NEW BATTERIES ($240)

CHANGE BILGE PUMP

CHANGE ZINCS

ADD SWIM LADDER ($130)

NEW HEAD ($200-$500)

SANITIZE/FLUSH WATER TANK

ADD LOCK TO TABLE LEG

FIX STANCHIONS

PUT UP NETTING

CLEAN/PAINT

SETTEE STORAGE LOCKERS

GALLEY STORAGE LOCKERS

HEAD STORAGE LOCKERS

And I am sure I am forgetting a few things :D

www.SYClub.ca

CapnK

Greenman - congrats on yer new lady, and a Grog for yall. :)

She's not looking bad at all! She'll be a beauty when you get done taking care of her, and will repay you in kind.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

maxiSwede

Keep up the good work Mr Greenman and keep us posted. seems like you got yourself a pretty nice boat for the bucks spent, eh?

;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Christopher

Congrats on your boat!  I've sailed a lot aboard an H27, a '76 to be specific.  Nice performing boat.  We were in a decent blow aboard last year and she stood up very well...  Wish the owner would've installed lee cloths... I spent my break in the rotation on deck trying to get rest wedging myself between the bulkhead and icebox...

In any case... great boat and congrats!
1993 Hunter 23.5