Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Moving to L.A

Started by dobrodaddy, June 09, 2009, 12:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dobrodaddy

Hello,
We're about to move to LA, and we're planning on living aboard our 30' Rawson, Stargazer.  I'm attending graduate school for archaeology, and my focus in on San Nicolas Island.  Yes, I'm one of the lucky ones to have spent considerable time on that island!

If anyone here is familiar with living aboard in the Los Angeles area, we'd really appreciate hearing from you, as we're currently in Humboldt County and haven't had the time or resources to thoroughly look around the area for a good place. 

Also, we're looking for bluegrass and country pickers - Chris plays dobro, and since we're new to town we'd love to play with some folks!

Thanks!
Rebekka and Chris

Zen

Finding a space to livaboard in LA area will be difficult.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

welcome aboard Rebekka and Chris. 

As Zen points out, finding liveaboard space in LA may be difficult.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Monovasia

I disagree, there are PLENTY of slips available from Ventura harbor, Marina Del Ray, Long Beach, Los Al, Newport Beach and even (SHOCKING) Dana Point....you will have NO problem finding slips. I am at Dana Harbor daily, there used to be a waiting list of over a year...now you can pop in, show insurance and you are in..the process with the county takes about a week...

In Marina Del Ray there are complete docks that are empty... I would try craigslist and also call the marina directly...

Safe travels,

S/V Monovasia
Live slow, Sail fast

AdriftAtSea

While there may be a lot of slips available, most of those are probably not liveaboard slips. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Monovasia

Not true Adrift my friend....Not true at all...

All of the harbors will have standards of upkeep, so do not plan on having a derlict as most of the boats across all the SoCal harbors are well maintained and dock mates will not tolerate a pig sty..

Ventura Harbor is highly liveaboard friendly...no problem there

Marina Del Ray is reasonably live aboard friendly, you have to pay extra on a monthly basis, some of the docks frown on kids and pets...but ask and see as each location is different within Marina Del Ray

Long Beach: many, many liveaboard locations, just not next to the Queen Mary..

Los Alamitos Bay: I know of only one anchorage which is sneakaboard tolerant

Huntington Harbor: No (unless you find a homeowner who will let you sneakaboard

Newport beach: Many marina's in NPBCH have legal liveaboard, mostly a younger crowd and divorced guys (she got the house)

Dana Point: Again SHOCKINGLY a viable option...you have to declare liveaboard status with the Harbor patrol and pay extra. The ornage County Sheriffs which run the harbor patrol like the liveaboards as they serve as neighborhood watch for the dock..

Sooooo in a nutshell, I HIGHLY advise checking with each marina and finding out what the costs are, ne may not allow liveaboards and the next marina owner will. Check Craigslist, the local boat and sail trader and just ask around. The urban legend of tight dockages, waiting lists and anti liveaboard perceptions are as over as a return on your 401k...they marina's need the money
Live slow, Sail fast