News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Butyl in a Can??

Started by Greenman, June 11, 2009, 02:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenman

I am having a realyl rough time finding Butyl Tape. So much so, that the local Chandelry asked me to let him know if I found a supplier so he could get some for himself.

Anyways, I found this and am going to try it. May work may not. I will let you know.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=941871&Ntt=941871&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber&eid=ShopToIt&utm_source=ShopToIt&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=941871
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Oldrig

Go to an RV store.
I was unable to find butyl until somebody on the Cape Dory board suggested trying an RV store. They had the tape in all sizes. And cheap, too.
--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Greenman

I actually went to an automotive windshield and glass place and bought 2 rolls of Butyl.

I am still in shock that the local Chandlery didn't even know what Butyl Tape was. Pretty bizarre IMO.
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Oldrig

Quote from: Greenman on August 11, 2009, 12:34:01 PM
I am still in shock that the local Chandlery didn't even know what Butyl Tape was. Pretty bizarre IMO.

It is shocking that U.S. chandleries don't know about butyl. I learned about it from a post on the Cape Dory board. Then, when I researched it further on the Internet, it seems that it's frequently used as a bedding compound in Britain.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but 3M 4200 or 5200 is a lot more expensive.

Anyway, I think our cousins across the Pond know a thing or two about boats and sailing.

Cheers!

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

roverhi

Compas Marine in Maine sells butyl tape in a medium gray color.  compassmarineservices@gmail.com

One caution with Butyl, if you use mineral spirits to clean up it creates an unholy mess.  I'd accidentally ground a few small pieces of butyl into the nonskid when I was sealing a port.  Tried to clean it up with mineral spirits and it turned into a black slurry that stained my very old and porous gel coat.  A couple of small dots of butyl turned into 3" diameter grey stains.  Remove butyl by scraping, peeling it off or with soapy water and a rag.  Actually soapy works pretty good as butyl won't stick to a wet surface.

Oldrig

Compass Marine's butyl is the real deal--made for marine applications, as opposed to RVs.

I'd second the recommendation.

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Godot

I've been using it for a couple years now and am very pleased. I picked up a couple rolls from an online RV shop. I noticed the other day that Defender now carries it in stock.

I bed everything in this stuff. It's easy, it works, and when it's time to remove a fitting (something I've done several times as I continue experimenting with different ideas) it cleans up fairly easy. Well, easier than any kind of goop in a tube, anyhow.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CharlieJ

I have a caulking gun tube of butyl that I got from ACE Hardware. Use it often.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera