News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cetol

Started by Frank, June 14, 2009, 09:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I switched to 'light' a couple of years ago. It's a lot less 'orange' in colour and shows more grain. I ordered 'clear' by mistake this year and when I went to use it, realized it is a gloss top coat to be put over regular cetol. I had enough left over from before to do 2 coats of light followed by 2 coats of the new clear gloss. It sure doesn't look like cetol. Hopefully it will last longer as well.... the gloss is a UV protecter. Will let ya know in a year.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Oldrig

When I bought my boat in 2003 the teak was in awful shape. I had the yard redo it, and I've maintained it ever since.

What they did at the time was one coat of regular (orange) Cetol, followed by two coats of Cetol Light. I've used Cetol Light ever since, especially when touching up places where the Cetol has worn off.

Starting last year, I've been topping everything off with a coat of Cetol Gloss.

The teak looks fantastic, if I do say so myself.

However, if I were to start again nowadays, I'd prefer Cetol Natural, topped off with one coat of Cetol Gloss.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Frank

update on 'clear gloss'. It is supposed to be a better UV protecter and it does look good but I'm finding it shows scratchs a lot easier than regular cetol.Maybe I'm just not used to a gloss finish.Guess I'll just have to learn to be more careful .
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

newt

I have done my Compac in Cetol and my Valiant in Varnish. Let you know next year which one I prefer.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...