Skillet meatloaf

Started by Amgine, July 09, 2009, 11:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

I just found this recipe, and have not tried it yet but it's on the agenda for tonight.

It looks like perfect cruiser food if you have a source for gresh ground beef. Almost everything in it  is canned or doesn't need refrigerating, except the beef. The size is huge, of course, but I think I can play with the proportions and get it down to 1/2 pound of ground beast. Once I do that I'll post my version here.

Recipe at AllRecipes.com: Skillet Meatloaf[/url

CharlieJ

The ground beef doesn't either. Laura just put 24 pint jars of canned ground beef, chicken and roast beef aboard the boat.

She's been canning stuff the last few weeks ;)

All wrapped in old socks and stowed where they won't rattle.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

geneWj

;D Charlie:
Sounds like us!  On the trip to Mexico, we did the same with peanut butter and a few other foods. 
I happen to like a real good quality canned corn beef, we used it for spaghetti and fried for breakfast.
Keep Learning!!

Shipscarver

Charlie you sure know how to hurt a guy!  Makes me hate to live alone when you start talking about your lady.
But, I seldom eat meat and have no refrigeration. So the PRIME INGREDIANT in my galley is a can of, "Chili Ready Tomatoes."  They make everything better, and mix with almost anything.  Last night I fired up the old flame thrower and mixed a can of them with a single serving can of white chicken. All I add is Tabasco and crackers. And, I love it!   8)
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

geneWj

Has tried the recipe and made the following recommendations to improve it!
use 3 cups (15 oz) unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
3/4 cups plus two spoonfuls of water(7oz)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of beer, mild flavored(3oz)
1 tablespoon white vinegar

I've made two loaves, one kneaded for about 5 turns
the other not kneaded at all.
In our 4 restaurants I used to make about 40 loaves of my honey whole wheat bread daily, used a pizza oven with tiles.
In our restaurant in Morro Bay, Gene's Grinders I'd make and bake up to
200 rolls daily.
So I do understand how to bake bread and make pizza dough. LOL.
Keep Learning!!

CharlieJ

Gene - you'll have to send it to her yourself- she ain't here-

She's currently anchored up in the San Bernard River, just this side of Freeport, Texas. Can't get through the Brazos River Flood gates til Saturday.

but she gets email at-

Laura@griffithart.com

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Amgine

Okay, tried it out and simplified it:

Ingredients
    • .5 kg / 1 lb ground beast
    • 1 egg
    • bread crumbs (1-2 pieces of slightly stale bread, but dry crumbs, croutons, or whatever works for you.)
    • 1/2 small onion, chopped up as fine as you prefer
    • 1/4 tsp each black pepper and salt
    • Barbecue sauce or ketchup
    • cheese

Hardware used
      • Mixing bowl
      • heavy skillet with lid

Mix ground beast (try a blend of mostly beef and a bit of ground pork sometime, or ground turkey, or some other experiment), whipped egg, bread crumbs, onion, salt and pepper in a bowl with your hands until well blended.

Heat a heavy skillet on the stove top over medium-high flame. Form mixture into one or two loaves. Brown on all sides. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until meat is cooked through, about 25 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain fat from pan.

Cover with barbecue sauce or ketchup and simmer another 5 minutes under cover. Cover with cheese and heat just until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and let sit at least a minute before slicing and serving.

Makes decent sandwiches the next day too. This is a key recipe which can be varied at will to get the meatloaf you prefer.