VHF's; RAM mic's? location & mounting options?

Started by CapnK, December 20, 2005, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Anyone have one of these?

On my old boat, I had a fixed-mount VHF belowdecks just inside the companionway, but had to use my handheld when motoring - I just couldn't hear the radio below over the rattle of the diesel. The 4 stroke o/b in an aft well onboard "Katie" is much quieter.

Based on this prior, noisier experience, it seems that the RAM mic option would be a good thing to have. Before spending the big bux (the cheapest VHF/RAM combo I've seen would run in excess of $300) on a system that I don't really use all that often, I'd like to hear some feedback from people that have used them, to see if they are really worth the extra expense, to see if they work as well as advertised.

So far, on "Katie", the handheld has worked fine, and I'm kind of wondering if I'd be stepping out of KISS principle philosophy by sporting a fancy radio gadget like these. Should I just stick with a "normal" (though higher powered w/masthead antenna) VHF below? Is there a safety consideration involved that overrules any other objections?

Thanks for any feedback on this.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Amorous

I have installed a speaker in the cockpit coming and got a longer mic cord.  I still worry that the mic isn't waterproof though.

s/v Faith

Don't know about RAM mike's but I have found the cockpit speaker eliminates the need to carry my handheld whenever the motor is running.  I also have mic holders mounted in the companionway on both the inside and the outside to make it easier to reach the mike when underway.

I see many boats with the radio mounted well below decks.  It would seem this is a throwback to the days when they had to be kept absolutely dry, or maybe to have it closer to the 'nav station' (where ever that is on a small boat :) )
Mine is mounted to the cabin top, just inside the companion way.  It is sheltered from the worst of the weather, but much easier to reach when calling for a bridge opening.

FWIW.....
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Jack Tar

I have one. I dont use it. To much corossion in the connections always makes it a pain in the Ass. Just use a remote speaker.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

Solace

Hmmm - I am seriously considering buying a DSC with a WAM mic. Right now I have a handheld at the helm and my onboard VHF now has an extension speaker. So why am I considering upgrading?
Number one - the handheld has a limited range, too often it falls short meaning I have to go down below to be heard - not always convenient.
Number two - it is my understanding that the powers to be are looking for everyone to go to the newer DSC (digital selective calling) systems. I have heard the UK Coast Guard already have stopped headphone monitoring Ch 16 - it still gets heard over a speaker. They are pushing for the newer systems which provide more information such as GPS position and ship specifics. Canada will likely wait for the US to change first, but I believe the newer systems do offer advantages. When you need help the $300 price tag is the last thing on your mind.

John

s/v Faith

I don't care for DSC, but for those who have made the 'jump' to it, it is important to know that the USCG is not set up to recieve DSC data in all but a few places.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Solace

Interesting - Faith - what is it that you don't care for about DSC? Perhaps I don't know enough about it. It is my understanding that the DSC VHF does everything a standard VHF does with the added benefit selective calling to another vessel + the added safety benefit of identifying your vessel to other ships.

As for the USCG not yet being equipped - this to will change. Other Coast Guards have already announced their intent.

Would love to hear more on this before the boat show (Thursday).

John

Godot

My boat is a mess.  I mean, it is basically sound, but 30+ years of prior owners have done some strange things, while other things are just wearing out.

One project I'm getting ready to do (after I finish building a new fore-hatch  and the weather warms a little) is to install my new VHF radio.  The old radio is mounted near the companionway, which makes sense except I still can't use it in the cockpit.  My new radio has a wireless hand held, so I'm thinking that I really don't have to worry about mounting it where it is (semi)convenient to the cockpit anymore.  Maybe it would be better to mount it on the bulkhead next to the mast.

I can think of a few good reasons for this.

1) The current location gets in the way when the dinette is setup as a bunk.
2) I think I can flush mount it here which will make the interior look a little more finished.
3) It would be right next to where the antennae cable enters the cabin.  I'm told that shorter lengths are better.
4) This would make a good location to put an AM/FM stereo keeping all the radio stuff together.

Just wondering if anyone has any pressing reasons why this is not a good idea.  I can think of a couple; but they don't seem too serious.

1) Need to run DC wire to power the unit.  But I figure, DC on one hand, coax on the other.  It's a wash.
2) What if my wireless hand-held unit goes overboard.  Well, we need to balance risks here.  I figure the old unit really wasn't usable from the cockpit anyhow.  This would be a little less convenient, but given the serious lack of convenience that exists currently, I wonder if it's enough to matter.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

Given what you've said about your old setup, I think that the new location makes sense.  Running coax that distance is definitely harder than running the DC wiring forward, and having the shorter coax run will improve signal levels a bit...  It's also far less likely to interfere with the compass, which is probably mounted in the bulkhead back by the companionway. 

I would highly recommend you get a handheld for use as a backup.  And you could put the charging cradle for the handheld back by the companionway, so that it could, in a pinch, be more accessible to the cockpit.  That would give you an option, if the wireless mic is re-charging or lost overboard.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

David_Old_Jersey

It is very handy to be able to have at least yer head out of the hatch when on the VHF, especially when shorthanded and where you need to navigate...........or at least reassure yourself, with the MK1 eyeball, that you don't need to navigate  :o

David_Old_Jersey

I am a Donut! - I didn't read Wireless  :'(...........in that case you might want to tie a bit of long string to the mike  ;D

AdriftAtSea

The only problem I can see with a wireless mic, is that Murphy's Law says the battery in it will die just as you need it most... I prefer hard-wired mics for that reason...as long as the boat has power, the mic should work...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 03, 2007, 08:14:44 AM
The only problem I can see with a wireless mic, is that Murphy's Law says the battery in it will die just as you need it most... I prefer hard-wired mics for that reason...as long as the boat has power, the mic should work...

There are many, many cases of boat's electrical system failing 'when you need it most.'  Seems like you are just trading one vulnerability for another.

Just a thought...
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

True..., which is why I have a battery-powered handheld VHF, and why I recommending installing one to s/v Godot... Cheap insurance against losing communications if the electrical system fails.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Captain Smollett

This is a circular arguement though...

(1) Because batteries can fail, relying on battery powered comms in the cockpit is not the BEST idea.
(2) Boat batts or electrical system can fail, too.
(3) Carry a battery powered radio as a back-up to the boats electrical system based comms
(4) Goto (1)

I'm not being argumentative, but it sounds like a recipe for becoming 'over-equipped' as Ken Barnes was criticized for being....
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

I have one handheld, that has the ability to be powered by AA batteries, and keep the AA batteries and the AA-battery pack for it in the ditch bag.  I keep it, and the NiMH battery pack for it in the charging cradle.  I see having a handheld VHF as an essential.  I often use it to talk to my crew, when they're out with the dinghy... better than yelling... easier too. 

It isn't a circular argument... you're just making it into one... I just think that you need to have some sort of VHF for use in the cockpit, and that a battery-powered handheld is a reasonable backup to a battery-powered wireless mic.  Alternatively, you could get a really long corded mic, but that's really not practical. 

The likelihood of having boat's electrical system or the batteries in the wireless mic, which has the same effective result, and the batteries in the handheld VHF failing simultaneously is very small, unless there is a lightning strike to the boat.  Chances are pretty likely that most people will have a handheld VHF aboard anyways.  Most boaters I know carry one. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Lynx

A longer mic cord or a remote, non wireless.

I bought an ICOM VHF because of the non-wireless Command Mic and do like it.  No batteries.

The less stuff in my Mac 26M cockpit the happer I am.
MacGregor 26M

Auspicious

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 03, 2007, 11:24:03 AMAlternatively, you could get a really long corded mic, but that's really not practical.

Actually it is. The cable between my Icom VHF and the cockpit plug for the command mic is about 20' long. Standard part available from Icom.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Godot

I posted this image on the Some storage ideas thread, and thought some folks might be interested in some additional discussion.

On small boats, you almost always see the VHF radio in a location that is accessible from the cockpit.  In fact, my old radio is inside the cabin in a spot where the mic will reach into the cockpit.  The problem with this setup is that when I needed to close up the cabin for weather or safety reasons, or just because my wife wanted to take a nap while not listening to vhf chatter, I could no longer use the radio.  Definitely not desirable.  So I started looking for a new solution.

Possibility one: handheld VHF.  In fact, this is what I am currently using until I get the antenna rewired.  The handheld has one serious deficiency: Range.  It don't go far.

Possibility two: mount the vhf in the cockpit.  Of course, now it is unuseable in the cabin.  Plus it is subject to spray, rain, theft, and who knows what else.  Not to mention that I really don't have a good place in the cockpit to mount it.

Possibility three (my choice): get a radio with a remote mic.  I purchased a Uniden Oceanus which has the optional wireless Wham mic.  So now I have the benefits of a handheld, without the drawbacks (well, I do have to worry about charging the WHAM).  I'm also able to mount the VHF on the bulkhead right next to the mast so I can minimize the antenna cable run.  It is unlikely to get wet (even though it is splash resistant, I'd rather not test this).  I can see the display easily enough from the cockpit, if I need to for some reason.  I think this is going to be a good solution.  I can't wait to try it out.

To the left of the VHF there is some additional unused space.  I'm thinking of either installing an AM/FM/CD player here, or perhaps a "glove box" to store boat papers, wallet, whatever.  I'm going to leave my options open for the moment.  Also, someplace up here I think I'm going to mount my old handheld GPS (a new one is on my Christmas list) where I can hook it up to the VHF for DSC use, and maybe an AIS if I install one for the Scoot.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

If you're going to go with a remote mic, I'd recommend getting a wired mic if at all possible.  They're harder to lose, and you don't have to worry about whether they're charged or not.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran