cheap small generators for the go small go now crowd.

Started by hearsejr, August 14, 2009, 06:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

It's been awhile since I have posted here but I have been lurking.  This morning I fell across a link that showed how to make a DC generator out of a engine and a car alternator.  It had all the instructions.  Where did it go?  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Shipscarver

Here's one for the electronic power types.  I need to operate a respirator, using 1.7 A.  What would be the smallest (reasonably priced) free standing battery and recharging system or combination I could use while cruising?
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Auspicious

Quote from: Shipscarver on August 20, 2009, 09:41:21 PM
Here's one for the electronic power types.  I need to operate a respirator, using 1.7 A.  What would be the smallest (reasonably priced) free standing battery and recharging system or combination I could use while cruising?

Is this a c-pap machine or similar? 1.7A at what voltage? If it's at 12VDC then the load is not much different than a fan or a couple of lights.

My recommendation (based on personal and first-hand observation of others) is to beef up your house bank, make sure you have a separate engine start battery, and set up charging accordingly. Put the machine on the house systems with a breaker that is not easily switched off by accident.

If it's 1.7A at 120 VAC you have quite a challenge, especially on a small boat and if you need 24/7 operation. In that case, and without any personal knowledge, I'd start looking at pressurized gas systems that require no power. Carrying pressure tanks carries its own risks.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

AdriftAtSea

BTW, adding safety cages to the breakers on a boat is a pretty simple task.  Blue Sea makes ones that fit over the standard breaker panels and require you to open them to flip the breaker.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Shipscarver

It's for a C-Pap, used for approximately 8 hours a day.  It is currently used only on shore power, but has the DC cig/plug-in that has never been used.  It would be nice to use it away from the dock.
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Auspicious

Piece of cake. Use the cig plug connection (not an inverter) and you'll be set. I've run 12V to guests with c-pap machines on several boats, including my own, with no big impact on battery state. I'd rather have a considerate guest with a c-pap than someone who leaves lights and fans on after walking away.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

s/v Faith

Just a thought.  I was thinking about the phenomena where a Sailor with a wind generator can become 'most hated' in an anchorage and still remain oblivious to the problem...

There is some issue with noise generated on one's boat where it seems tolerable to the offender, but is not at all so to others in the same anchorage.

I can honestly say that I have rowed away from Faith with the little Honda purring away and been unable to tell if it was still running when I returned until I was within 20' or so.

I doubt the same with even a well muffled Chinese lawn mower engine, even if it is enclosed in a fancy housing. 

Remember,  even if the noise is ok with you... unless you are out of sight of others they may have a different opinion and deserve consideration.

(Applies to wind generators too!)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on August 24, 2009, 11:35:36 PM
Just a thought.  I was thinking about the phenomena where a Sailor with a wind generator can become 'most hated' in an anchorage and still remain oblivious to the problem...

There is some issue with noise generated on one's boat where it seems tolerable to the offender, but is not at all so to others in the same anchorage.

I can honestly say that I have rowed away from Faith with the little Honda purring away and been unable to tell if it was still running when I returned until I was within 20' or so.

I doubt the same with even a well muffled Chinese lawn mower engine, even if it is enclosed in a fancy housing. 

Remember,  even if the noise is ok with you... unless you are out of sight of others they may have a different opinion and deserve consideration.

(Applies to wind generators too!)

I've heard wind generators 'swhining' from over 200 yards away.  It can be annoying.

But I will say this.  There was a boat here earlier in the year that had a wind gen that I NEVER heard...even in 40+ kt blows.  It was the most amazing thing.  I wanted to get over and check out what brand it was for this specific reason, but alas, I never did.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.