Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New Front runner

Started by Cpt2Be, August 23, 2009, 03:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt2Be

Quote from: CaptMac on August 30, 2009, 04:44:04 PM
I think it is required that you will need four line handlers to go through the canal, so by the time you pay for a couple of extra hands and feed and berth them for a week plus all the fees and taxes you might find it cheaper to have it trailered across and its quicker. I also heard there was a minimum size limit now, please check for the current requirements for crossing the canal before buying so you can figure your total cost.

I know about the handlers but didn't find anything about min size.
Yeah I would more than likely trailer her across but just spending more time talking myself into this particular boat :)
I am even "considering" just having her shipped to TX from Berkley. It's not as bad as I thought
heck if I thiought I could I'd just sail her around the tip of SA and back up (I wont do that as a newb :) ) I would do that over everything

CharlieJ

For an Ariel all you need is an. 18 foot lowboy trailer and a half ton pickup. That's how we got Tehani from New York to south Texas.  Basically same sized boats.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

There is a Pearson Commander that did it (same hull as the Ariel, longer cockpit, smaller cabin).  

The boats name was 'Faith', they had no problems going through, but had to pay the fine small boats pay for not making it through in a day.

Here is a link to the thread on the Ariel site, which has a link to their blog.

Should be quite a trip!

Quote from: Cpt2Be on August 30, 2009, 04:03:42 PM
LOL boat lust has GOT ME!

At least for that Ariel out in the SF Bay area...

I am almost certain that she is the one. Even though there are logistical issues like how we would have to take her through the Panama Canal to get her where we want to cruise, the price is worth it IMHO.

Plus we'd get to make passage through the canal which bureaucracy and cost aside isn't as bad as I thought it would be from what I have been reading.

She just represents so much of what we are looking for in a boat that I have a problem justifying any other purchase...

Still hope she isn't sold by the time we are ready to buy
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cpt2Be

Started reading through their log this afternoon and then my internet went out  :'( gonna read some of it tonight but defiantely going to read through it all. Seemed like a great trip.

I doubt we will actually go through but likely to either sail it to Panama and transport it across on a trailer (if that's possible)

May also just rent a truck and trailer and take her to TX and stay at the Nautical Landings marina in Porta Lavaca, TX (CharlieJ pointed them out and looks like a great place to start)

If she's still available when we are ready I am pretty certain she will be the one we buy. You've looked at her Faith. I'd most likely only need a dodger (unless he just doesn't have it listed) and even though the main only has two reef points that should cut it. Also we can gerry rig a bimini with some rip cord and tarp when we need so we don't "need" it to go.

Just seems she represents the best value I've found anyway

Cpt2Be

Well, the Ariel in SF sold....  :'(

I'll keep on looking  ;D

Christopher

The Ariel up in Sister Bay is pretty nice.  We were about a split second away from buying it, but the wife and I came to the agreement to wait until spring to buy a boat and we want something that has been refit.  We experienced a bit of shock from all of the extra costs.  Survey was going to cost over $400, transport quotes were out of this world, and it had no cradle so there's another big chunk of money.

In any case, that boat appears to be all original, but is in very nice condition.  I walked all the decks, inspected all the deck fittings and found no evidence of problems anywhere.  I tapped around with my multitool all over the decks and it all sounded good.  Some crazing in the cockpit but none that appear to be serious enough to let water in.

1993 Hunter 23.5

Cpt2Be

Quote from: mkeChris on September 03, 2009, 11:24:12 AM
The Ariel up in Sister Bay is pretty nice.  We were about a split second away from buying it, but the wife and I came to the agreement to wait until spring to buy a boat and we want something that has been refit.  We experienced a bit of shock from all of the extra costs.  Survey was going to cost over $400, transport quotes were out of this world, and it had no cradle so there's another big chunk of money.

In any case, that boat appears to be all original, but is in very nice condition.  I walked all the decks, inspected all the deck fittings and found no evidence of problems anywhere.  I tapped around with my multitool all over the decks and it all sounded good.  Some crazing in the cockpit but none that appear to be serious enough to let water in.

Yeah were buying in spring as well... As far as refit, not sure what your requirements are but we've found that most of the "pocket cruisers" we are looking at require an extensive amount of refit for blue water cruising. From thru-hull/seacock replacement/upgrade to bronze, chainplates replaced with thicker ones, etc.. as most of what we are looking at (well what we can afford anyway) are set up as daycruisers that would need at least the above refit for purpose. I prefer a porta potti instead of having another thru hull to worry about (for now anyway). When you are ready for a survey be sure to mention what you intend to use the boat for. I'm sure you already knew that though. Let me know how things go for you in the survey process cause I'm sure I can learn something from you going through it.

s/v Faith

Quote from: Cpt2Be on September 04, 2009, 12:03:11 PM
....I prefer a porta potti instead of having another thru hull to worry about (for now anyway). ....

I just bought one of the composting heads.  As soon as I get my new camera I will take a day to take it out of the box and document the install.

Read more here;

Composting heads; Airhead, Nature's way.....
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Quote from: s/v Faith on September 04, 2009, 12:43:52 PM
Quote from: Cpt2Be on September 04, 2009, 12:03:11 PM
....I prefer a porta potti instead of having another thru hull to worry about (for now anyway). ....

I just bought one of the composting heads.  As soon as I get my new camera I will take a day to take it out of the box and document the install.

Read more here;

Composting heads; Airhead, Nature's way.....

I am looking forward to the install, holding off on any plans for my head until I see how it fits.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward