News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tiller vs. Wheel Steering.

Started by Piraten, September 06, 2009, 04:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piraten

I'm thinking of taking out my wheel steering and going to tiller.  The wheel just sucks up way to much space in the cocpit and below.  I'd like to build a sort of berth in the cockpit with a full canvas encloser and I am thinking the pedestal needs to go.  Also, tiller autopilots are cheaper.  Any suggestions?  The emergency tiller post already sticks up into the cockpit.
If it floats, it's a boat.  If it sinks, it's a reef
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

ThistleCap

Good for you.  You'll not only have more room, but become a better sailor.  The tiller gives you a direct connection with the boat, allows the two of you to communicate.  It used to be even the largest boats had tillers.  One of my dream boats was a 55-ft. Devries that raced and did several trans-Atlantics---all with a light tiller.  Back in the day when boats were designed for seaworthiness, and the interior went were there was room left, they all had tillers.  Starting in the 70's, boats started with the interior decor, and the architect had to design something that could make the decor float.  The result sometimes was something that needed the mechanical advantage of the wheel to keep her mediocre design going in a straight line, IMHO.  The other reason was the boats going to the boat shows had wheels, so of course everyone just had to have one.  If your boat has even a reasonable design, you'll be glad you made the change.  Just my opinion. 
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

Piraten

Well originally the wheel was just an option, tiller was standard, although the brochure makes it appear that the wheel was standard.  Since the inboard engine was removed already, I'm thinking that if I ditch the quadrant I can almost build a double berth out of the room that'll be left.  That 's adding onto the single berth that's there already.
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

Amgine

While I'm a tiller person myself, don't dump the wheel too hastily. The wheel, to be completely honest, is just a tiller with a mechanical advantage. If it takes up too much cockpit space, be aware a tiller will sweep even more of the cockpit, although in port the tiller can stow away very neatly.

On the other hand, you've already removed the engine... I'd look at the rudder post head and the options for permanently installing a tiller, and if there were no significant changes/costs then I'd probably go for it.

Piraten

I was thinking about yanking the wheel system off enough so it didn't clutter the cockpit, build a tiller arrangement and sail a couple months with it.  If I decide that I like the wheel better, I just end up with another emergency tiller and I can put the wheel system back on.
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

mitiempo

I prefer a tiller to a wheel - more feel and at anchor just move it out of the way. Also less weight and maintenance.  Remember people with wheels carry an emergency tiller, but people with tillers don't carry an emergency wheel. ;D
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

Piraten

I have a 28 Irwin with a wheel in it.  It takes up a lot of space in the cockpit and I have been considering pulling it out and going with a tiller.  My planning goes along the line of...
-Building a tiller to the shape I want.
-disconnecting the cables from the quadrant and pulling the pedestal out.  That way it'll be simple to put back in if I prefer the wheel in the long run.

I mainly coastal cruise with trips to the keys from Tampa.  The advantages I see are cleaning up the cockpit.  Cheaper windvane type self steering.  Simpler maintanance system.  Make a few bucks selling the old wheel system, if I go that route.

Anything else I should consideer?
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

s/v Faith

I went ahead and merged this thread into the one you started in September of last year. 

FWIW, I prefer tillers.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

I prefer a tiller. First, it is a far simpler mechanism and needs less maintenance than a wheel steering setup.  Second, it generally gives far more feedback than a wheel generally does. Third, it takes up less space in the cockpit when at anchor or at the slip.  Fourth, it is generally simpler to rig self-steering with a tiller.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Godot

Preference: Mildly pro tiller.  It is easier to figure if the boat is out of trim (how far off center is the rudder).  But visitors seems to be more comfortable with a wheel.  Really, I could go either way and the tiller/wheel question isn't an issue when the search for the next boat begins.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

newt

I think alot of it has to do with size of boat. There is a similar thread on CF with most of them preferring a wheel. Funny.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Captain Smollett

Temporary Hijack (I'll state my preference so it's not completely off topic  ;D )

A couple of years ago, I met a dude who had a Hunter with a wheel.  We got to comparing boats and I mentioned something to the effect that I did not care so much for wheel steering on a boat, and don't have it on mine.

He asked, "Your boat doesn't have a helm? I bet it's hard to sail a boat without a helm."

This really confused me, because of course my boat has a helm...it's just a tiller not a wheel.

It took a few minutes of circular non-communication to finally get an understanding that he was using the term helm = wheel, not helm = steering.

I'm sure to a bystander, it must have been one funny, Abbott and Costello type conversation.   ;D

Anyway, for me, tiller all the way.  Tiller steering is simpler and wheel steering generally has 'emergency tiller steering' backup anyway.  If you MIGHT have to go tiller in an emergency, why bother with the wheel?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Some more;

• Wheels appeal to folks crossing over from power boats or from cars.  It is 'known' technology.

• Wheels allow greater mechanical advantage (without having a massive tiller).  A poorly designed hull can be sailed
    in spite of it's lack of balance with a wheel and a barn door.

• Wheels allow a poorly trimmed boat to be sailed in most any state of bad sail trim by a drunken crew.....  with little idea that anything is wrong.

• Tillers over center cockpit boats can be made to work... but not simply or well on big boats....

• Wheel steered boats have more moving parts with more failure points in the steering.

Edit by Captain Smollett: cleaned up list tags
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Piraten

I forgot I had asked the question on here before.  I never did get it done from last time, too many deployments to the land of sand.

I'm hoping to get the tiller made after I've replaced the ports and rebuilt the centerboard.
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

CharlieJ

From Laura and I both. Tiller all the way. One of the criteria we used when looking was tiller steering.

Far simpler, stronger system all the way.

And I've steered a 50 foot on deck, 50,000 pound schooner with a tiller quite nicely. Notice many of the offshore single hand boats are using tillers.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Mario G

My thing is to feel the boat and water below,a wheel dampens this.

Now I will also say the control a tiller gives in rough weather tells me a rudder is what will always be on my boat.  (only had to reposition the tiller collar)

I'm not in to load my boat up with extras.   The simpler something is ...the less to worry about. 

How often do you service a wheel assembly? and does the grease make a mess in the aft berth? or is it enclosed?  Is there a problem getting replacement parts for older wheel units?  Yea that about talks me out of getting one....lol

CapnK

WB from the land o' sand, Piraten. :)

Tiller for me. I like the direct input, being able to feel how the boat is sailing...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Leroy - Gulf 29

I have a wheel on the Gulf.  Bullet proof design rack and pinion.  Has about as much feel as fornication using an inner tube as a condom.  Part of me would like to convert to tiller, and the other part of me says to leave it because it makes life easier for my bride (a non-sailor) to figure out how to steer it.

Tim

Quote from: Leroy - Gulf 29 on March 17, 2010, 02:04:09 PM
I have a wheel on the Gulf.  Bullet proof design rack and pinion.  Has about as much feel as fornication using an inner tube as a condom.  Part of me would like to convert to tiller, and the other part of me says to leave it because it makes life easier for my bride (a non-sailor) to figure out how to steer it.

Tiller envy  ::)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

svsoutherncross

Tiller for us. Easy to rig self-steering, very manageable if the boat is balanced right. I've noticed wandering the marinas how few people in our size range (34', 13500#) have tillers anymore.. sad.