-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tiller vs. Wheel Steering.

Started by Piraten, September 06, 2009, 04:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxiSwede

Quote from: s/v Faith on March 17, 2010, 12:31:48 AM
Some more;

• Wheels allow a poorly trimmed boat to be sailed in most any state of bad sail trim by a drunken crew.....  with little idea that anything is wrong.

Edit by Captain Smollett: cleaned up list tags
D*** it! That must be the reason We've got a wheel- AND a tiller-  :P ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Auspicious

As Adam noted, this isn't a decisions-maker for me on a boat. Some wheel steering is better than others. Some require more maintenance than others. Like motorcycles, chain-driven wheel steering needs maintenance to maintain the kind of helm feel that brings a boat alive. All-cable systems need even more attention.

My boat has direct drive from the wheel to the rudder. The feel is darn good and the maintenance requirement is lubrication once every few years of the gear boxes.

It's a good thing the whole rig is bullet proof because the emergency tiller is darn awkward.

Not all tiller boats are direct drive to the rudder post. If your tiller is not you should have an emergency tiller that mounts to the rudder post.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

evantica

Hi. can anyone tell me/ show me what the connections look like when convert from tiller to wheelsteering, and with an "outsiderudder" (?!)= when the rudder is attached after the boat, if you know what I mean?) don't know the correct english word sorry!
Would like some photo's maybe some links?

cpt. Hakan

AdriftAtSea

Converting a boat with a transom hung rudder from a tiller to a wheel is rather difficult. It is far easier to convert a rudder that has a stock that comes up through the hull to wheel steering, since you can mount the steering quadrant to the stock. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

I really have to question why in the world put wheel steering on a smaller boat, particularly one with an outboard rudder?

I'm predjudiced of course ( who me?) but the tiller is so much simpler, more reliable, and takes so much less room.

So again- why?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

I agree with Charlie... but the question was asked...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

evantica

CharlieJ and adrift...This is more of a hypotetic question, coz' I do not know how the connection will be fine/ok and trustible?. And second reason is that I heard that it can be some difficulties in rough seas to hand steer with tiller, true or false?! (I can see this depends on : "wellbalanced, easy on the tiller etc.") So theres the answer. I have allways been a friend of a "Tiller" find it easier to attach a windvane etc.
But I have to preper/ learn about everything on my way around the globe.

AdriftAtSea

Converting a transom hung rudder to wheel steering is a lot more complicated than using tiller steering for the same setup.  The rudder, being transom hung, has no simple way of attaching a steering quadrant that would be accessible inside the boat's hull, where the tiller is very easy to attach to the transom hung rudder.

While an external quadrant could be attached to the tiller, it would require having holes made in the hull for the lines to pass through.  The quadrant would be more vulnerable to damage and could also damage the hull if the rudder were ever forced over hard by a pooping wave or something like that. Also, any repairs to the steering quadrant in any kind of sea would be fairly dangerous, if not impossible altogether.

As for it being hard to hand steer with a tiller, that is really more a question of how seakindly the boat is.  A boat with severe weather or lee helm issues due to hull form is never going to be easy to deal with in heavy conditions, regardless of how the steering is done?wheel or tiller.  Barndoor type transom hung rudders are generally more difficult to steer than semi-balanced or balanced designs, but generally more robust in construction, since the semi-balanced or balanced designs are usually only supported by the rudder stock.

If the underwater lateral plane of the boat and the sail plan are well balanced, then using a tiller shouldn't be an issue. If they're badly mismatched, even the additional leverage of a wheel-based steering system won't help much?it merely changes where the problems will occur IMHO.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Piraten

I saw pictures of an expirement someone did once that used a horizontal wheel and by using drums and pulleys ran the lines to each side of the tiller.  Looked like an extreme pain in the butt.
If it floats, it's a boat.  If it sinks, it's a reef
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on March 24, 2010, 07:42:20 AM

Converting a transom hung rudder to wheel steering is a lot more complicated than using tiller steering for the same setup...The rudder, being transom hung, has no simple way of attaching a steering quadrant

A quadrant is not a requirement for wheel steering; it's just one way to solve the problem (rotational motion to lateral motion).  There are, of course, other methods.

All the old square riggers that had wheel steering had 'transom hung' rudders, so it certainly CAN be done.

Granted, the technique so used (a rope drum connected to the wheel with lines leading through turning blocks to the TILLER) would be neither suitable nor desirable on a small boat.  ;)

Quote from: Piraten

using drums and pulleys ran the lines to each side of the tiller.  Looked like an extreme pain in the butt.

Case in point...   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

An externally mounted quadrant is certainly the simplest way to do this. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

evantica

AdriftAtSea

And you can see why I say an external quadrant would be subject to damage rather easily.  It sticks out quite a bit.
Quote from: evantica on March 26, 2010, 03:33:38 AM
like this
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

evantica

Jim_ME

Every boat I've owned has had a tiller, and that is my preference. When I've occasionally sailed another boat with a wheel, one of the things that I miss is that the tiller position tells you instantly what the rudder position/angle is when tacking, or especially in docking situations.

SV Wind Dancer

Always tilled, never wheeled...wonder what the Freudians would say...hmmm not going there *lol*.  One plus is the tiller is so easily removed and replaced, clears some cockpit space for partying in port, leaves a prospective boat thief with a big "?" over his head, and if awakened by bumps in the night, it's a bodacious club to go medieval on 'em!