News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Netbook + GPS antenna + Seaclear

Started by Tim, September 23, 2009, 11:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Well I have my USB puck GPS and SeaClear on speaking terms. NOAA charts loaded in for Tomales Bay, so I will check how it works this weekend.

The 12 volt adapter has not arrived yet so I will have to test on battery for now (but then Tomales isn't a huge bay)

Unfortunately I will be singlehanding it looks like so I am not sure whether I will be willing to put the netbook into the cockpit as I sail. :-\
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

nowell

intrested to see how it works. I've been considering a netbook, but more for general around the boat use.

Personally, I like my laminated charts, grease pencil, and handheld GPS. Even have tie downs on them to keep them on my person, or close at hand. Hasn't failed me yet!

Luxary tho ... I like you style!  ;D
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Tim

My style is CHEAP  ;)

Nowadays everything one needs for navigation is online FREE!

I refuse to give Garmin anymore of my money.

In the cockpit I still just use a handheld along with a compass for headings. It is nice on long trips to sit inside on a full keyboard plot and plan.

also AIS and weather interfaces will be (are?) available off the net

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

polecat

Tim - Following with great interest as to how you work it out and what works best for you.  Notebook - Seaclear - SSB receiver - CPN - Kaito 1103 - Garmin GPS - all the NOAA tools ---about anything that has come along in the last few years I've bought /downloaded but have been so busy with rebuilding haven't used or put anything together. Interested in what's handy - ease of use - minimal
jim

AdriftAtSea

Considering that a USB GPS is $50 or so, and a Netbook is $200 or so... I'd opt for spending the money on a real chartplotter instead.  A real chartplotter is less than $500 if you know where to shop.  I recently bought a Garmin 3205 chartplotter for a bit over $500, but it is a bit more than a basic chartplotter. A real chartplotter is usually rated for IPX7 submersion standards, which is not the case with either the USB GPS puck or the Netbook.  If you use the Netbook in the cockpit and it gets wet, you're out $200 and need to replace it.

Pros of dedicated chartplotter:

More durable, especially on a small boat like those found on Sailfar.
Screen is usually far more readable in daylight that that found on most netbooks
Dedicated equipment tends to have fewer problems with OS/UI issues
Many come pre-loaded with US coastal water charts
Lower power consumption than the netbook and USB GPS in many cases.

Cons of a dedicated chartplotter:

More expensive a solution, but this may be offset by the increased durability/reliablility
Less versatile
Charts are often more expensive to update

Pros of PC-based navigation solution:

More versatile—can do other things than just navigation
Screen is often larger than that found on low-end chartplotters
Can load charts for more areas, but only the US charts are free AFAIK.
Can be less complicated to install

Cons of  PC-based navigation solution:

More vulnerable to shock or water-related damge
Less reliable than a dedicated piece of equipment—Windows can have major stability issues.
More in the long run due to lower reliability/durability
Not really usable in the cockpit
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Tim

Dan I won't argue with your assessment, though I think you are downplaying the versatility and expense factors.

The fact that a netbook is not designed for cockpit use does make it different than a chartplotter. But as I said I use a GPS (Garmin Map76) for that, giving me all the necessary information.

What it does give you is a light, portable, low power consumption tool that can do A LOT of things that a chart plotter cannot in a single package.

W.A. Ward

Leroy - Gulf 29

FWIW... I just got an ASUS netbook and a Bluetooth GPS puck.  Still in the process of playing with it.  I downloaded the trial version on Microsoft Streets and Trips. - So far so good.  I downloaded SeaClear, and looks like it will work as well.  Alas, the lawn ornament is still sitting in the back yard.  The point to the rambling is that the Bluetooth capabilities of the GPS puck and the ASUS means that I can set the puck outside on the boat in a baggie or similar containment and do not have to worry about it getting wet.  If you're thinking about this option, I'd definately recommend the Bluetooth connection.  As an aside, Verizon is my cell provider, and they've labotomized the GPS in the crackberry.  With the Bluetooth and aps I can use the cell phone as a handheld unit as well.

Tim

Thanks Leroy I didn't opt for the the bluetooth though the netbook is capable, I wanted to go the simple route to start out with. The puck I got is waterproof, so it is just a case of routing the wire through my companionway cover.

W.A. Ward

nowell

Some of the netbooks are pretty impressive, and they seem to be getting better each month. I've seen some with a battery time of up to 6 hours. Granted, running bluetooth pulls that back down some, but, for a infrequent navigation tool, that could mean a day or two before charging (depending on your usage).

At around 2 lbs its perfect to throw in your small backpack until you find that internet cafe so you can update your SailFar friends and blogs  ;D
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176