News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Powdered eggs

Started by Delezynski, October 22, 2009, 12:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delezynski

During our cruising in the Sea of Cortez, we did not have any problems finding fresh eggs -  -  - MOST of the times. We did spend months at a time anchored out in some remote places and had some of the Wakefield powered eggs for times when we ran out of the fresh ones. On a Nor'Sea 27 we can only carry so many eggs you know. :) We have found that powdered eggs seem to be a lot harder to find now.

*****   NEW FIND  *****  At least for us.

We were in Whole Paycheck, ... Oops... I mean "Whole Foods" ;) market and found a product we had not seen before. It's "Bob's Red Mill, All natural Egg Replacer". It says that it can substitute for whole eggs in cookies, pancakes, waffles, cakes, brownies and muffins. It also says it's good for a year without refrigeration.

For those times we are at anchor and the normal cackle berries run out.

We have not tried them yet. Any one else used this product? If not, I'll let you know how they work after we get a chance to try them.

Greg

Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

Lynx

I have used the crystal Powered eggs. The problem that I had was to get them disolved before cooking. Otherwise they was OK if added enough stuff to them. More expensive than fresh even in the Bahamas where the eggs was shipped in frozen.
MacGregor 26M

okawbow

We found a place called Honeyville farms that has good powdered eggs, and other foods.  www.honeyvillegrain.com
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Delezynski

okawbow,

THANKS for the link. We just found that one also. I expect to make an order soon. Real powdered eggs are sure to be better. We normally only stock about 24 eggs at a time. They sell what seems to be a large amount per can, but they sure comes in handy after a month in the far off the path deserted anchorage.

And they also have powdered butter and cheese. We used a powdered cheese before also and have not been able to find that. When mixed, it's sort of like the Nacho cheese you get at fast food places. We like to add some peppers to it.

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com