Updated: We're on new hardware...

Started by CapnK, October 28, 2009, 10:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polecat

Iceman

Shall I search this thread.. I forget how to upload photos ???

s/v Faith

Quote from: Iceman on December 16, 2009, 06:43:14 PM
Shall I search this thread.. I forget how to upload photos ???

Take a look at this thread;

Posting Pictures

If you are still not clear, post your question and we will get you going. 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Iceman

Ill check it out. Just trying to post a new album, with the new boat

Iceman

Do I need to update my username and password for the new website?

CapnK

Update - 7/13 - Reverted to our 'regular' theme for the time being. Updates still coming soon, so the rest applies. :)

You may notice a slight change to the look of the Forum; don't be alarmed.

The software that runs the Forum has undergone a leap from its Version 1.1.x stage, to a just-released Version 2. I am preparing the Forum for that upgrade, to happen some time soon, as soon as it is available to us. Part of that was to set us back to the default theme.

I'll keep y'all posted as to other changes as they happen/are about to happen. :) There is the possibility that the forum might even go down for a short while - if that is to happen, I'll post a days previous notice, and have a placeholder page in place while it happens.

That's all! :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

JWalker

Actually...it did freak me out.  :o

but I'm ok now!  ;)

CapnK

I've initiated a change in Registrars for our Domain Name, so sometime in the next day or so the site might appear to go down for a bit.

*If* that happens, do not be alarmed, it'll come back ASAP. :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

So you couldn't wait till 12/20 and really give us a scare eh! ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

Dang, Tim - wish I would have thought of that one!

I guess I am just not as devious as you are.  :P

----------------

I think that everything WRT the Registrar change has happened successfully at this point, and so will 'unsticky' this topic...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

OK, I have no idea if this is related or not, but for the last couple of days I have been getting a lot of "DNS lookup error"s. After a couple of refreshes or returns to the site it will load. But I have had to re-log in about three times when this has happened.

on edit; I am going on to a different computer and checking to see if it not a cache problem on the Mac. (clearing the cache also)

on further edit; Clearing the cache didn't help, immediately got a "DNS lookup error" but after 3 refreshes it went to and fortunately this time kept me logged in. So I guess if nobody else is having any problems, it is just this computer.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

TL;DR - It's related, but should be over with now.

Long version - SNAFU. I started the transfer 2 days before the domain was to expire so that it would be done when that date came. However, GoDaddy canceled my attempt to move the DNS registration info to NameCheap without making it clear that they had done such, and _after_ NameCheap thought that it had been successfully taken care of - and so, so did I, based on info from the NameCheap website. A transfer like this can take up to 5 days to complete, so I waited...

...and 2+ days elapse and NOW GoDaddy is reporting that the domain has expired and has started sending traffic to THEIR parking page. Thus began my Saturday morning...  ::)

An hour and a half later, after being on web chat with NameCheap while simultaneously being passed around the GoDaddy phone system to various sales and other folks, I finally got them to straighten the mess out, and finally late yesterday NameCheap was once again posting that the transfer was a success, and GoDaddy emailed me to let me know that they had surrendered the domains.

So, now - anything which changed that didn't need to at all anyway, should be nearly done propagating out through the internet tubes, and we should be back where we were before, before nothing that needed changing got changed for no good reason.

Got it? Test on Thursday... ;)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

Too late!  :o

I already beat the bytes outta this computer! >:(

(thanks for spending your time dealing with this, I really do appreciate it)

W.A. Ward

tomwatt

Grog for solving that... site became unavailable to me for several days, so I was just patiently waiting for something to sort itself out. Congratulations on a successful sorting!
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Tim

Hmm, took two tries to get in this morning and made me log in again. Must still have some wrinkles.

on edit; and then gave me a DNS lookup error when I tried to post this

W.A. Ward

SalientAngle

Tim, you may want to run traceroute from a command prompt and see where the hop times out... ping can also be useful to see where the problem occurs

Tim

Quote from: SalientAngle on December 18, 2012, 09:06:27 AM
Tim, you may want to run traceroute from a command prompt and see where the hop times out... ping can also be useful to see where the problem occurs

It is not a routing speed problem as it comes up quick and a refresh typically now gets me to the site.

W.A. Ward

Tim

Seems to be getting better, hasn't happened again this morning

On  edit; Dang, spoke to soon, got a DNS and then had to re-log in.

W.A. Ward

Captain Smollett

If you are getting DNS errors, it could merely be the cache in the DNS servers you are using - that they have not gotten the word yet (meaning, they have not cached the new info yet).  DNS changes can take a while, and they MAY have cached the fubar from over the weekend.

Not sure why you would have to be logging in when you DO get a DNS resolution, though.  That's kind of odd.  That's session management and cookies - could be local cache related, but once cache cleared and new cookie written, should be fine.  No, that's a bit of a puzzler.

Unless?  Does your browser mangle something in the session management cookie if a DNS lookup fails?  I can't say I've ever heard of that, but wow....

Seems more like two separate issues SEEMING to be related (they are but only in the sense that they are related to the registrar change).  Very strange that there is a session management effect.

For what it's worth as a potential data point, Firefox 12.0 here and NO session management/login issue since the change over.

Quote from: Tim on December 18, 2012, 11:30:39 AM

Seems to be getting better, hasn't happened again this morning

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

QuoteSeems more like two separate issues SEEMING to be related (they are but only in the sense that they are related to the registrar change).  Very strange that there is a session management effect.

I have been thinking you are right about that, so have been pursuing avenues here at home, and have cleared cache and cookies a few times. I am on Firefox 17. 0.1 on my Mac, the DNS has come up on my Netbook also though I don't think the log in requirement has happened.

It can be very frustrating because I can load the "Recent Posts" page but then when I go to this particular thread it bumps me, requires a log in, then when I go to make this post it repeats the process.

on edit; anther problem is that being on a satellite IP, after clearing cache and cookies some sites like TSBB are very slow loading

W.A. Ward