Updated: We're on new hardware...

Started by CapnK, October 28, 2009, 10:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SalientAngle

tim, are you using primary and secondary static dns or are you configured with dynamic dns?

Tim

I think satellites are dynamic. I also just had to re=log into now on my netbook, so it is not just a problem with the Mac

on edit; Uhg! all I managed to do by clear the cookies on the Mac is screw up my ability to log into other sites, this too may be a satellite combined problem
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

SalientAngle

ok, I have seen propagation delays on dynamic dns before; usually at the subnet level... it should go away on its own...

Tim

Yes, I should have left well enough alone, as now I am unable to log into TSBB  >:(

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Captain Smollett

Quote from: SalientAngle on December 18, 2012, 01:00:21 PM

ok, I have seen propagation delays on dynamic dns before; usually at the subnet level... it should go away on its own...

That should have NOTHING to do with login issues on this and other sites.

I'm wondering if your satellite provider (or the tech itself?) is providing some sort of caching that is screwing up the session management.

Also, for future reference...and apologies for pedantic zealousness if you did it this way...FF allows deleting individual cookies rather than the whole lot. 

Really, this sounds like sort of proxy somewhere in the chain (first guess is satellite provider) not playing nice with the session management stuff - for some reason (no GOOD reason, but who knows how proxies are configured?).  I cannot fathom why this would be an issue related to the registrar/DNS change.

I'm wondering if it's not coincidence that it appeared now, coinciding with the timing of the sailfar maintenance.  It just makes no sense that a registrar change coupled with DNS server modifications would effect OTHER web sites...or even the session management of THIS site.

All DNS does is give you IP address resolution from name....once your system as that, DNS is not involved in ANY way with further transactions.  DNS lookup errors and login/session management problems ALMOST have to be separate issues. 

A DNS time-out, for example, has nothing to do with the sailfar http server accepting or rejecting your user credentials from either the session cookie, keyed directly in a GET request or you providing them manually with each http request.  It would JUST be a DNS time-out, and the sailfar http server would not even have been contacted yet.

DNS does not care about your sailfar (or tsbb, or other) creds.  So, that cannot be causing the time-outs.  Once DNS resolves the IP address, it's done - out of the equation.  All further transactions are with the sailfar http server (even if on the same physical machine!).

This is indeed a puzzler.   ???
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

Tim, give me a call if you want.  Phone number sent in PM.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

FINALLY got on, using a work around Kurt sent. Looks like I wasn't alone
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

In reference to Smollet's last post a quick explanation, because I am really bored with this computer battle. My login issues on another site TSBB is probably a result of very slow loading pages there. It has happened before and I am pretty sure it is a satellite thing. The support from my satellite provider is a waste of time and does band-aid fixes on some real problems they have ( a quick look at their community forum will show you that). The slow loading pages is happening on both computers, the difference is I didn't lose my cookies on the other (definitely due to being over zealous and frustrated).

I am still getting DNS errors here, but they are a different horse and for some reason periodically I come up as a guest when I do get on.

IN any case between the two computers I can get on anything, though slowly on some.

There are worse problems in the world, and I have boat work to do ;)

W.A. Ward

Tim

Oh poop, maybe the world is going to end!

Apparently I am not the only one experiencing slowness on TSBB, of course I can't tell anybody that because it is too slow for me to log in  ;D

So it appears it is a combination of things bringing my world down, isn't that always the way, oh well better luck next time ;)

W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

I'm not Tim- everything normal here, except I still can't get onto Sailfar unless I use the work-around Kurt sent me
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Yes it sounds like it is a selective slowness on TSBB. I am now logged in there on all my computer again, just slow. I am still getting DNS errors here and periodically having to relog in.

W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Whoopee!!!. SailFar is BACK, the regular way ;D ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera