Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Sail ties

Started by s/v Faith, November 10, 2009, 01:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Faith is in need of some new sail ties.

My 'new' sails (3. 4?) years ago came with spiffy multi-colored sail ties.  They were nylon strap, but somehow were not slippery like nylon is usually.   There were 5 of them, and we lost each one by one.  Each of their loss was mourned.

I do not like regular 'round' line to tie sails, since it likes to bunch up the material and cause chafe over time.

Some use bungees, which is ok as long as they are not too tight, or rust, or degrade... all of which happen.  There is also that problem with bungees being generally 'less then' over time with their use aboard.

I considered a system with alternating hooks and loops.  The system allows a length of bungee to just live on the boom, and as the sail is stowed the bungee is stretched over the sail in loops to keep it tidy.  I decided against this, since either the hooks or the loops would want to interfere with my reefing system (two line).

I bought a set of 5 'hiking belts' from REI on clearance.  I used them once, and saw that the tendency to cinch them down was too overwhelming... I wish I had at least bought different colors, since I am unlikely to wear out 5 belts anytime soon.   ;)

I wonder what brilliant solutions my fellow SailFar'ers have come up with?

Thanks,   ;D

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

Duct tape.

Just remember to reverse it (that is, put the adhesive side up) for the first wrap, so it doesn't stick to the sail all that much. Coating the area of the sail where the tape will be with some petroleum jelly also helps.

If you have to leave it on for more than a month with no covering, then be sure to wrap the tape with Saran Wrap - specifically, the 'Crystal Rose' red color kind - in order to cut down on the UV exposure to the tape. UV will harden the adhesive if you don't.

Good to see that Hurricane Ida had mercy on y'all. :)

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Auspicious

Two thoughts -

Go to a sailmaker (especially whoever you got your last sails from) and ask for a handful of sail ties. I have a small collection of Quantum and North Sails ties that way.

Get webbing at a fabric store and sew your own. Yours can be better than most sailmaker ties by putting a half twist in the loop before sewing it. I made a bunch that way in a color to match my then-girl friend's topsides.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Leroy - Gulf 29

So what color was your girlfriend's topside  ;D Was it that creamy white or tan? Pictures :D  On a lighter note, I got some one inch webbing from the fabric store and sewed them - er my bride did anyway.  I've got one of those caterpillar thingy's now though

AdriftAtSea

I have the hooks and bungee along the boom.  I first saw the setup on my friend's grandfather's boat back in the mid-1980s... and it worked beautifully then, and I've since added it to my boat. 

It consists of four padeyes along each side of the boom, with a length of bungee cord running through the four eyes. On one side, the bungee cord has three hooks added?one between each pair of padeyes.  To furl the sail, all you do is reach over the sail and grab the bungee and hook it to the bungee from the other side of the boom. 

This keeps the sail nicely bundled, and up and out of the way, since the attachment points are on the side of the boom.  It takes about a minute to fasten all three hooks... far faster than any sail tie system and no sail ties to drop, lose, hold and have flog you while trying to tie up the sail.  As a bonus, the padeyes act as attachment points for my four leg lazy jack setup, which helps keep the main sail contained when dropping it.

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Oldrig

For years I used a boom "centipede" that consisted of a length of shock cord that attached to the bottom of my boom (I had to install one small deck strap near the gooseneck), with "legs" made out of lengths of shock cord with eyes and wooden pegs. The system worked fairly well and would last about three seasons (available at Worst Marine for under $20).

Last year I ordered a Sail Jockey system from Sailcare. It consists of two pieces of shock cord that reside under the boom, held in place by eye straps. They join together with sliding plastic hooks. The system works well enough and eliminates the need to use individual sail ties.

That said, if I were to do it again, I'd probably opt for a system like Dan's, with a length of shock cord and alternating hooks and eyes.

Either system works very well.

Good luck,

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

ThistleCap

I've also used one-inch webbing for sail ties (properly called gaskets for any interested in nomenclature) for many years.  I lucked-out in finding a sailmaker going out of business and bought a roll that must have been a couple hundred feet long originally.  I tie the gasket in using an uncut length of the webbing, and then cut to length, so each of the four are a different length matching the circumference of the furled sail.  The cut ends were melted to keep them from unravelling.  Both ends are marked boldly with a marker (numbered 1 to 4) so no matter which end I grab, I can identify the appropriate one.  
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

CharlieJ

We also use 1 inch webbing but all of ours are the same length - 30 inches. I can tie downthe jib or gasket the main with any of them. Since we have a wooden boom with sail slides on an external track we feed the ties under the sail, over the boom, then tie as needed. We keep about a dozen in a canvas bag.

Of course if we are offshore they get stowed in the bag, except for the three for the main - those live on the handrail or in place on the sail

When the jib is dropped it gets tied down at the hanks and in at least one place along the life lines, until the jib bag is put on.  Usually that's to get the jib out of the way while we anchor. Those ties stay looped over the handrails on the fore cabin when not in use. Three more ALWAYS are looped to the handrails on the rear of the main cabin so they are always ready to grab.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cmdr Pete

I use these, or something like them

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/shopftw/Strap-EZ/

They're gentle on the sails.

The 35" version is the most useful.

Unfortunately, the blue color makes them hard to see if you let one get blown overboard while dousing the sail, and they sink eventually. I probably only have a 50% recovery rate

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

AdriftAtSea

One reason I really like the bungee cord system I have on my boat is that you can't lose the sail ties, and the sailties don't end up beating you across the face while you're trying to tie them in place...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on November 12, 2009, 05:53:11 PM
One reason I really like the bungee cord system I have on my boat is that you can't lose the sail ties, and the sailties don't end up beating you across the face while you're trying to tie them in place...

It does have that going for it.  ;D

I really like the idea of having the ties there on the boom.  I am just not sure I have room on my boom for the hooks and eyes.  My reefing lines take most of the starboard side....

Nice set up where it works though.

s/v Faith

I hope they work.  I am buying them now, based purely on your expert advice.

I trust Cmdr Pete, at least $20 worth.   ;D

I just bought the set of 6, in the size you recommended.

Quote from: Cmdr Pete on November 12, 2009, 01:51:10 PM
I use these, or something like them

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/shopftw/Strap-EZ/

They're gentle on the sails.

The 35" version is the most useful.

Unfortunately, the blue color makes them hard to see if you let one get blown overboard while dousing the sail, and they sink eventually. I probably only have a 50% recovery rate

Cmdr Pete

If they don't work out, I owe you a grog

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Frank

Thats quite the picture Cmdr Pete.  Nice to see how the other half live  ;)  They probably offer "valet docking" ;D
Not like my kinda establishments   :o

OK...."contest"...name this bar
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Cmdr Pete

What a Dump!

Wish I was there

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"