-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Need some advice!

Started by Oldrig, November 20, 2009, 10:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldrig

Fellow Sailfar denizens,

I need some advice here.

I was recently invited to crew on a trip to Bermuda -- which is one of my longstanding dreams. I was just about to sign on, when I realized that it would mean being away for my father's 90th birthday (and my wife's birthday, which takes place a few days earlier, and which is much less than that).

What would you do under these circumstances?

Dad isn't in the best of health right now, although his mind is still very sharp. He's getting somewhat superstitious, and would probably NOT want a big celebration of his 90th. While there's a good chance that he would make it to his 91st, I would hate to miss this milestone.

darn--I've just about convinced myself to back out of this opportunity. What do you folks think?

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Tim

Joe, My advise, from someone who has a Mom most likely to reach that same milestone soon.

It sounds like you see your Dad regularly why don't you just talk to him about your opportunity and dilemma?  I am guessing given the chance to help you decide he would say go for it. If not you will know.

My own experience is that the older I get the more I learn to not miss the opportunities in front of us.

Tim
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Lynx

Take to him and her about this. Send pictures and calls. This is your dream. Make them a part of as much as you and they can. Leave on time.

Please take crew down to polcie station and get a free background check. This will avoid possibility of problems on your return.

Have fun and take care.
MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

Also, get a SPOT messenger and put it in tracking mode for your trip... and give them the URL to the tracking page. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Oldrig

Thanks guys! Grog to all of you!

I'll talk with Dad, and with Mom (their 67th anniversary is in three weeks).

And, Dan, this is a great excuse to buy that SPOT that I've been coveting.

What an online community--fellow sailing addicts with good ideas.

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

bbqjerry

Joe,

Hope you get to go for your dream. Just make sure before you leave...that you and the rest of crew can get along. Best of luck to you.

Jerry

Oldrig

Well, I talked to my Mom today, and she advised me to go for it! My wife is NOT happy about it, but she said that perhaps this trip would "get it out of my system." (Fat chance!)

I've been playing phone tag with the skipper, and we both agree that we should meet (he doesn't live that far away) before we go any further.

Man, am I psyched for this!

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

nowell

good luck mate! Keep us posted on if your going or not! Lots of pics will be good too! What will you be crewing on? Whats the planned route? How long? Details, man ... details!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Bill NH

When is the planned departure, Joe?  I know you're a fellow New Englander -  it's starting to get pretty late in the season for a northern departure.  The time between lows gets shorter and the lows themselves deepen as we get into December.  Be sure you watch the weather carefully beforehand, as your first few days (until across the stream) are when you can really get pounded with a N'ly-NE'ly wind against the stream...  And bring plenty of good warm gear!
Best of luck - keep us posted.
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

AdriftAtSea

Joe?

BTW, if you want to borrow my SPOT messenger, let me know.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Oldrig

OK, here's the deal.

If everything works out, I would be crewing on next season's Bermuda Cruising Rally.

When I received a consent form and description of the rally, I thought it meant that I was already accepted as a member of the crew.

However, it turns out that I was one of many people who responded to the invitation, posted on the Cape Dory b board. I've spoken with the skipper/owner, and we're trying to arrange a face-to-face meeting to see if we like one another. He's filled one slot and has two more, with many more than two people asking to go along.

If everything works out, we would depart from CT on June 18, crossing to Greenport, NY, where the rally departs on June 19 (which is my wife's birthday--and she's NOT very happy about it).

Scheduled return to Essex CT would be July 5.

So, it remains to be seen whether George chooses me as one of his crewmembers. If he does, Dan, I'd be happy to borrow your SPOT messenger. Although, according to George, all participants in the rally will be equipped with some kind of transponders that send their locations to a website. (I suspect these may be SPOT messengers.)

The vessel, a Cape Dory 33, will be one of the smallest in the fleet.

I'm still psyched, but have to prepare myself for the possibility that I won't make the cut.

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Oldrig

Well, I just met the skipper for the Bermuda cruise--and we hit it off very nicely. Since neither of us seemed like potential axe murderers to the other (and our wives hit it off, too--although neither will be sailing) -- I am now planning to sail to Bermuda in mid-June, with plans to return on July 5!

Any advice from those who have made this sometimes challenging trip would really be appreciated.

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Godot

Never been to Bermuda, but the old advice of keeping yourself in the boat, and the water out seems worth taking.

Just trying to be helpful. :)
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Oldrig

Thanks, Bro. :D

I'll try to keep that in mind.

You do so, too, when you join Dave for the sail back from the Bahamas.

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Auspicious

Hello Joe! I'm sure you're very excited about the prospects of sailing to Bermuda.

There is always a lot of advice about sailing, but sailing is sailing and the only differences on a long passage is that weather can't be predicted well for the whole trip when you leave and it takes longer than a day-sail. *grin*

I have some minor quality of life thoughts.

In case things get bumpy you will still want to eat. There are a number of meals that have worked well for me. I make soup (curried cabbage, tomato-basil, chicken) and freeze them solid as possible. Even if you don't have a freezer aboard you can drop them in the reefer or a cooler and they'll be ready when you are. A bag of frozen shrimp provides lots of options - I make a quick and easy shrimp risotto underway that always gets good reviews. Yogurt is a good snack, as are hard-boiled eggs. When all else fails there is always canned chili. *grin* A whole roast pork loin is surprisingly easy to cook and the leftovers make great sandwiches.

Some tools to talk with the captain about, and offer to bring if he doesn't have them: a pressure cooker is a great thing to have - even if you don't use it as a PC it's great to have the lid that locks on; you really want a good sized ladle - 2-1/2 or 3" across. You will want a garbage bowl -- something to hold food trimmings and anything else that goes over the side. Yachties have been using a "GB" since long before Rachael Ray began promoting the concept.

You should have your own inflatable PFD and tether. The two-leg tethers (I have one) are overkill for most people who aren't long-term foredeck monkeys. Practice at home (I'm not kidding) getting in and out of the PFD over your foulies. Once you're good at it try it in a small closet WITHOUT HITTING THE WALL. I am so tired of crew banging metal bits into my woodwork. The captain WILL notice. Bring a recharge kit. One of my most recent crew pulled the manual inflate on one of my PFDs on the last trip and I'm out of replacement tubes. *grump*

Keep your gear together. It is good etiquette to have a light footprint on someone else's boat. When I do deliveries I carry a small SealLine bag with everything I want on watch so I have one thing to take on deck. Don't leave your gear scattered around the boat, and don't "move in" to lockers unless invited by the captain.

When the captain checks in with Bermuda RCC on approach to St Georges ask him to ask for guidance on requesting a tour of the RCC. It's definitely worth the walk up the big hill. The views are spectacular and the equipment is very interesting. See http://www.rccbermuda.bm/portal/server.pt for an overview - take the phone numbers (left, blue column) with you.

If you're there long enough the Shipyard is worth a visit also - take the ferry from St Georges.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Oldrig

Dave,

Grog to ya'!

Thanks for the tips. I'm forwarding your galley suggestions to the skipper, since he and his wife were asking if I had any ideas on what kinds of foodstuffs would be good for a long passage.

Best,

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

newt

Dave, what about putting that advice in the FAQ's. It is too good to be lost with time....
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Auspicious

newt - I'm honored to be asked. I'll pull something together and send it to Kurt for the FAQs.

Gosh.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

AdriftAtSea

I'd also recommend carrying a small drybag.  This is a good way to keep your gear organized and dry.  You can leave your digital camera, iPod, etc in it when not using them.  Also, it is a good place to keep your travel documents and any medications you might need. 

A small mesh bag is a good way to keep your tether, harness, PFD, rigging knife and other deck gear together when not in use and allows the gear to dry.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Bill NH

I like the suggestion of the mesh bag for PFD, harness and tether.  However, I keep my knife on me at all times when underway, even when off watch.  In an emergency I want it where I can reach it immediately.  For me, in a bag with other gear wouldn't work.
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...