Yacht 'Justice' on a Kentish beach

Started by s/v Faith, January 03, 2010, 11:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

4 week old J boat (Fin keel with a bulb)

(Short Youtube clip with some text).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6i0udkBGFE

Two saved in Herne Bay yacht drama
Thursday, December 31, 2009, 13:21

QuoteTWO sailors had a miraculous escape when their brand new ?300,000 yacht hit a sandbank and sank off Herne Bay.

The drama happened in the dark in storm-tossed seas at 5am this morning.

The four-week-old yacht ran aground and capsized on Hook Sands two miles off Reculver.

A helicopter crew was scrambled from Belgium and winched the men, both IT experts, to safety.

They were airlifted to Margate's Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Hospital but were released after a check-up.

The shocked pair returned to Herne Bay to watch as the wreckage of the yacht was washed up on the beach in front of the Kings Hall.

The men had collected the yacht, called Justice, from Ramsgate and had been sailing to Katherine's Dock, London, where they live.

Margate lifeboat answered the Mayday distress call, attached a tow line to the 45ft yacht and pulled it off the sandbank. But water gushed in and the yacht sank.

Where the keel WAS fastened to the hull before they ran aground.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Saving, awaiting PM permission to use photo.

Ok, I got this message;
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith'
Thank you for your post on the misfortune of the Justice.

I would like to post a link to the picture (the close up of the keel attachment) in a related thread on SailFar.net.

I would attribute it to you, but wanted to ask before I posted your picture. No commercial use involved, just want to put it in a thread discussing hull form and keel type, where it would be helpful to the discussion.

It was a guy called Cantana on the PBO forum in the Uk,if you attribute the pictures to him,i cant see any problems

Matt

Thanks,

Not sure where to link for the credit, but hopefully this will suffice.

s/v Faith

Captain Smollett

A bit unrelated, but we had one break lose from a mooring here yesterday.  25 kt blow (so not too extreme) and she blew down into the railroad bridge.  The hull was against one of the pilings, just rubbing as she bounced.

Ouch.    :'(

I have not been out there to see yet, but I got word that the owner was notified and has moved her.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain