News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Boat interior reconfiguration

Started by tomwatt, January 15, 2010, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomwatt

Today was kind of a dismal day with my boat. The boatyard called me to notify me that the weather tarp I had put over my boat had collapsed and was filled with snow and water. When I got there, I had to move several hundred pounds of ice off. Got that done, crawled around inside to reexamine the interior - and discovered that the interior furniture (this boat is a pre-Bristol Sailstar) is just plywood. Which got me to thinking... since I wasn't too thrilled that it was a dinette layout anyway, and the interior is much the worse for wear and was never even close to fancy (we're talking white formica tops and plain plywood), how insane would it be to just go ahead and gut this puppy completely and give it a major redo?
Have I lost my mind (and all my future wealth such as it were)?
It's possible I could clean it all up, and make it fly as is. But I'm feeling the temptations of project-itis, and thinking "hey I can do this" - so should I be looking for the guys in the white coats to come get me, or does this seem like a good thing to do?
Any and all thoughts and comments welcomed.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

s/v Faith

I urge caution... but offer encouragement too.

I really like some of the interiors I have seen when boats have been gutted and re-done. 

I have seen many, many boats for sale with interiors that have been removed.. or need to be after failed attempts and better ideas.

Look for some of CapnK's ideas.. pretty cool and he has lived aboard for... 4? 5? years while sorting out exactly how he wants things.

It can be great.. but I would not undertake it lightly.

Quote from: tomwatt on January 15, 2010, 07:58:09 PM
Today was kind of a dismal day with my boat. The boatyard called me to notify me that the weather tarp I had put over my boat had collapsed and was filled with snow and water. When I got there, I had to move several hundred pounds of ice off. Got that done, crawled around inside to reexamine the interior - and discovered that the interior furniture (this boat is a pre-Bristol Sailstar) is just plywood. Which got me to thinking... since I wasn't too thrilled that it was a dinette layout anyway, and the interior is much the worse for wear and was never even close to fancy (we're talking white formica tops and plain plywood), how insane would it be to just go ahead and gut this puppy completely and give it a major redo?
Have I lost my mind (and all my future wealth such as it were)?
It's possible I could clean it all up, and make it fly as is. But I'm feeling the temptations of project-itis, and thinking "hey I can do this" - so should I be looking for the guys in the white coats to come get me, or does this seem like a good thing to do?
Any and all thoughts and comments welcomed.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

tomwatt

I agree that it's not a light undertaking, nor am I considering jumping into it. My thoughts are to ponder this while doing the hull scrape-down/sand and redo this spring, so I'm definitely thinking "go-slow". But the more I think about what I want of this boat, vs. how it's laid out, the more I think this is a great opportunity to get it like I want it (I know, it would have been cheaper to just buy such a boat to begin with, except I know of no boat that fits).
I've been grabbing photos of interior layouts, and making notes of projects done by various folks... starting a little library. This thing sleeps 5, but that is really cramming folks in. For what I want, I'm thinking of converting the rear qtr berth to storage and a propane locker accessible via a cockpit lazerette. Converting the dinette to a comfy settee/berth, and shuffling the galley so that it's larger and 'el' shaped across the step-down and putting in a nav station. Phew. Maybe I should just sink it and start over.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
Kinda up for sale.

Godot

Do you like to do major rehab projects?
Are you prepared for it to take 2, 3, or 4 times as long (and cost 2, 3, or 4 times as much) as predicted?
Will you be significantly happier with the new proposed layout?
Do you WANT to do it?

Fortunately, the Bristol Corsair is small, so the potential costs and delays are somewhat smaller.  Plus, if it all goes to heck your financial losses can be minimized a bit.  But I think it is important that all four questions above are answered with a "yes" or you are likely to end up frustrated.

No, it is not crazy, provided you LIKE to do this kind of thing.  On the other hand, if you aren't thrilled with the thought of doing the rehab, you might be better off selling the Bristol and picking up something closer to what you really want.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

tomwatt

Those are really good questions.
It may be possible that I do like the idea of tackling the project.
This is going to require some serious soul-searching it seems.
Thanks for the thoughts (and if anyone else has anything to add, please do).
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
Kinda up for sale.

mitiempo

As someone who has done this in the past and is doing this to a certain extent on my current boat it can make sense. Most boats are designed to sleep lots and lack storage. There are many owner improvements that can be made to almost any boat. In my case I have enlarged the galley to accomodate a larger stove with oven and moved the sink closer to the centerline. I have also modified the engine access to a door with lift off hinges from a foberglass stair assembly that was loose when removed. I have built in storage where possible, taking advantage of dead space aft of the galley area in the cockpit coamings that wasn't even accessible before. The galley mods required cutting out a lot of the original galley and glassing 2 half bulkheads to the hull for the sides of the new stove and a fore & aft half bulkhead beside the engine. The whole now utilizes space better and is stronger than the original but strength wasn't the problem to start with as the original was well built. If you're able to do the work yourself and don't mind the work or the time it takes I'd say go for it. But one problem is that once you start to change one thing it sort of grows. Both in size and time/money. After all if you're moving the electrical it might as well be upgraded as well and so adds to the time/cost a bit more. But the result if done with forethought and care is definitely satisfying.
Brian
CS27
Victoria B.C.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

SV Wind Dancer

I am engaged in this issue aboard WD and it's not a major trauma for me. Don't care about resale value issues, and after making my home aboard 3yr+ I know what changes involving least hassle will benefit most.   

tomwatt

I'm pretty sure I don't care about resale value. That is, in seeking a hull, I got about 90% of what I wanted in this one. And I'm not that concerned about doing the work. I have significant time under my belt as an artist and craftsman... and while fiberglass work isn't among those, I have hours and hours spent setting and stretching finicky linen canvas, so I think I'll be alright after a bit of playing with it. I also have some design skills, am fairly skilled with woodworking and of course I search the Internet as a thief, collecting ideas to pull and push around.
The goal is a comfortable, affordable to maintain liveaboard capable of offshore cruising.
Maybe it's the grey weather getting me down. I really care more about sunny days than dismal ones.
Thanks for the sound advice, encouragement and even attempts to discourage me are welcome - I'm notoriously difficult to dissuade once my course is set.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
Kinda up for sale.

Mario G

After putting one season on the boat and collecting ideas of what changes would be our personal preferance, I figured to do it in steps.  I started with the starboard bulk head with the plans of just replaceing the laminet with teak veneerand of coarse after removing it found that it was rotted at the bottom corner so I disided that I would reinforce it

I really like the new look and will move to the port side bulk head next

I've come to the conclusion that not everything has to be done at once and that our ideas and plans may change. nothing will be done that will stop it from being albe to sail when the weather gets a little better.( it was 60* today so tempting)

And being that I have very little money into the boat as it sets, a few upgrades to an already nice boat seems warrented.

Doc Bob

I say go for it. Been there done that. Everyone is right. Twice the time @ twice the cost (lots of amateur mistakes). But, I am very happy with the results, nice warm wood interior, Lots of extra storage space. Practical layout (for me). Rewired everything 12V and 110V. Built in DVD, LCD TV. Full galley, Stove w/oven microwave. All in a 26' Chyrsler swing keel.

Mario G

Thats what makes you the envy of everyone on the Chrysler Fourm Bob.

Doing VW restorations for a living, I'm well a where how the time/cost thing easily multiplies and  that I may move up to a Chrysler C-26 I don't want to get to carried away at this time.

tomwatt

Twice the time & money? Oh boy. Well, I'm already to the sketching stage of trying to rearrange things to see how they work/look. I don't mind the time I think, although it looks like I'm going to have to farm myself out as crew to get some sailing hours in... or else sidetrack by buying another boat to sail in now. Except I really don't want to divide my finances and attention to a second boat.
Given the interior condition of the boat now, I don't think there's a lot of sprucing up I can do to get by... it was pretty spartan to begin with, and the wiring is clearly shot. So short of finding a hole in the hull someplace, I'm not likely to uncover anything new (and I have been over the hull pretty carefully already).
OK. That pretty much sets it. I was going to clean up and dress up the outside and live with the inside except that I found that much of the marine plywood has picked up a nice green color in dark shady areas inside, and in about half the furniture the ply appears swollen and separating.
Or I could just go offshore with my kayak aboard, take an ax to the hull and paddle back in while it sinks. But I think fixing it is a better approach.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
Kinda up for sale.

newt

Forgive me for butting in, but I did this with a Catalina 27 and ended up scrapping the whole project. Why, because when I got down to bare hull the boat was not worth the restoration! I was will (heck- I had already bought) upgrades, new tanks, electric, ports - most everything, but I had failed to look at the simple fact that it had been put together sloppily from two different Catalina's, and it was structurally unsound. An expensive mistake.
Soo... I ask you to do this. Take a very close look and the hull and deck. Soft points? Rusted bolts to keel or rigging? Wires old with fishhooks? Signs of water damage inside? Wiring rats nests? All these things need to be sorted out when you get the interior out. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but look objectively- is the boat really worth all the effort?
Some are. Some are not.
Although I loved my Cat 27- it was not and was sold for lead and plastic recycling, after all useful items removed.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Doc Bob

I agree with Newt. That being said my boat, is not worth (on the market) what I got into her but, she's my boat, I guess that's the point if you?re doing a restore/upgrade to increase the selling value/points considering the time and money spent on the end product has to be the priority. The time/money I spent for "my boat" will never be recovered. The value of seeing/using her resurrected by my own hand "PRICELESS!!" I guess what I'm saying is if it feels right/good do it.

tomwatt

My hull appears to be sound. Some soft spots on the deck, but minor (so far as I can tell - warmer weather will let me tear into things more and have a better answer). And I don't mind someone raining on my parade... right now it's snowing here anyway.
I will report back (not that I'm likely to be silent in the interim) in the Spring with a photos and build thread to keep everyone up to date. I'm inclined to go for it, but that will depend on what I start to find as I get the hull stripped down and clean.
I'd be inclined to think almost any hull I get ahold of would want some work. This way I'm not so inclined to 'live with' something that doesn't suit because it's okay. As far as what the boat is worth, I'd never get a resale out of it anyway. Never expected to and don't anticipate trying to sell it but to make it "mine".
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
Kinda up for sale.

SV Wind Dancer

In my case an inexpensive hull with potential is an invitation to try experimental (and cheap) solutions I wouldn't dare on a showroom new. The Chinese pictogram for 'disaster' is the same sign used to write 'opportunity'.

CharlieJ

Lol-been reading this thread with interest, sitting here aboard after about five months of cruising Tehani.

Go to 'galleries' click on 'members galleries' then 'charliej' (on page 2), and under that click on 'Tehani'

take a llook particularly at the first three pictures.

Yeah, if the boat is good enough, a total rebuild is worth doing.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Umm... Charlie...looking at those particular photos makes it very hard to believe that Tehani is even the same boat.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Thanks. Truth be known, she probably really isn't the same boat.

Hull is the same, decks pretty much too, other than some recoring. Companionway, deck hardware, rigging all redone.

Interior pretty much gutted and rebuilt as we wanted. For example just the steps shown in that third pic probably took a full day of noodling around bouncing idea off each other before we came up with the end result. There's a garbage container hidden under the center step for instance.

Then consider that we were both skilled woodworkers, had a full professional shop to work from and that I just retired as a profesional boat bulder and restorer. Of course Laura did much of the work while I was working on other peoples boats. SHE did that interior, and much more. Check out the fourth pic- that's Laura down in ther with a grinder. She also      can do fiberglass work and maintains all the brightwork.

But we wound up with a wondeful boat that has so far done all we've asked to to do- including several multiple day offshore sails.

What more can you ask?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

tomwatt

Thanks for that CharlieJ, as it turns out, I'd not discovered the galleries previously, and your directions to see the pics were right on target. And no, mine isn't as bad as all that... perhaps there's reason to be hopeful.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
Kinda up for sale.