News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

small boats sailing long distances

Started by wallo9, February 26, 2010, 12:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallo9

I am refitting an old venture 22 and like all new sailors I tend to mix a lot dreaming with my work. As I look at maps of our planet natural trips seem to emerge like the Caribbean chain that ends up in south America, or the sea of Cortez to Costa Rica , most of the trips I read about on the blog are being done in bigger small boats I,m looking for a good sail not an extreme adventure I am hopeing to make the venture strong but I am not a master shiprite what say ye?
                                                                                                  Wallo9

Captain Smollett

Quote from: haidan on February 26, 2010, 01:21:06 AM
http://www.bigoceans.com/
is a good blog of a young guy on a Contessa 26 going from England to Australia, he finished last fall and just sold the boat recently.

Yep, that's a good one; that site has been referenced here on sailfar quite often, and Nick is actually a member who has posted content here.

Always a good reminder...grog to ya, sir.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

The problem with a boat like the Venture 22 is one of space.  Stowage for supplies, food, tools, water, etc. is pretty tough on a boat that small.  Also, the load-bearing capacity of that small a boat, which wasn't designed to cross oceans, like the Flicka or Bristol Channel Cutter, both of which are relatively heavy displacement designs for their size, limits you as well.

This isn't to say that it can't be done, after all, Webb Chiles did sail most of the way around the world in two different 18' Drascombe Luggers, which are even less well suited for the purpose than a Venture 22.

Certain modifications will make the boat more seaworthy and safer.  Having a bridgedeck, which IIRC, the Venture already does, and having a relatively small cockpit are good ideas, as these make the boat safer in the case of being pooped or knocked down.  Enlarging the cockpit drains to reduce drain time is another common move.  Having some way of positively locking the swing keel/centerboard. etc..

If your boat is a pop-top version of the Venture, I would highly recommend finding some way of properly securing the poptop.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Grime

I can't speak with the knowledge that others have here but with my limited experience I would not trust the Venture 22 to do any off shore sailing. For me the weather window would have to be perfect.

We have a Starwind 22 that has 800# more displacement and 250# more keel weight than the Venture 22.

When I was looking for our boat I looked at a older Venture 22 and know someone that purchased one. The one he purchased the hull was canned from sitting on the trailer. This told me that they have a very thin hull.

We do plan on doing some coastal cruising and might go off shore, depending on weather, from Apalachicola to Cedar Keys. We do have a pop top and working on making it totally secure but still able to open when at anchorage or at a dock.

Water and fuel storage is our main concern.  Food and gear not some much so as we can use the v berth to store gear. Head room for me is another concern. I can't stand up when in the cabin.

Good luck on your dream.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

geneWj

Well, if U go to the bbs.trailersailer board and find a post by geneWj  u will see a picture of my 20'6" Gaff riggfed boat First Born.  I sailed her single handed in 33 days to Hawaii, sailed back and instead of landing on the california Coast, took advantage of the wind,seas and currents and sailed her directly to Cabo San Lucas.
Sailed her back up the Mexican coast anchoring everynite. brought her back up to San Francisco, then took her day by day up the coast to Vancouver Island.

If U looked at her you would see a large cockpit, with a well for self draining, about 18" wide, under the deck plenty of storage for sealed containers, I carried 50 gallons of water and 10 gallons of gas for the engine which I seldom if ever used.  My auto pilot and the balance of the boat made steering very easy.  I kept the batteries up with a solar panal. Did not use the radio until I reached Hawaii.
Found room and places for food, no refrig.  My only wish was about 15 days out I really craved a STEAK. LOL.
In 1962 took First Born to the Bahamas and spent a month in the out back of the Abacos.  Afraid to go back and see all the changes.
Right now charlie/Laura Jones are coasting from Texas to who knows where in there 25' Meridian which is a relatively small sailboat, they seem to be adjusting just fine.
It really all about what U feel U have to have to do the trips and what U'r not willing to do without!
genewj
Keep Learning!!

wallo9

Thanks for all the info,considering just what can this  boat do is not enough but a variety of experience and knowledge can help me to mold the boat for good passage, Thanks

wildman

Hey Gino -- Here's a pic of First Born.  Send me your tel no in an email or private message and I'll walk you through posting pix.   Wish I could find one flying the tops'l, though.   Paul

Quote from: geneWj on February 27, 2010, 02:43:28 PM
Well, if U go to the bbs.trailersailer board and find a post by geneWj  u will see a picture of my 20'6" Gaff riggfed boat First Born.  I sailed her single handed in 33 days to Hawaii, sailed back and instead of landing on the california Coast, took advantage of the wind,seas and currents and sailed her directly to Cabo San Lucas.
Sailed her back up the Mexican coast anchoring everynite. brought her back up to San Francisco, then took her day by day up the coast to Vancouver Island.

If U looked at her you would see a large cockpit, with a well for self draining, about 18" wide, under the deck plenty of storage for sealed containers, I carried 50 gallons of water and 10 gallons of gas for the engine which I seldom if ever used.  My auto pilot and the balance of the boat made steering very easy.  I kept the batteries up with a solar panal. Did not use the radio until I reached Hawaii.
Found room and places for food, no refrig.  My only wish was about 15 days out I really craved a STEAK. LOL.
In 1962 took First Born to the Bahamas and spent a month in the out back of the Abacos.  Afraid to go back and see all the changes.
Right now charlie/Laura Jones are coasting from Texas to who knows where in there 25' Meridian which is a relatively small sailboat, they seem to be adjusting just fine.
It really all about what U feel U have to have to do the trips and what U'r not willing to do without!
genewj
Paul Miller
s/v Lazy Susan
1987 Nimble 20 Yawl
Deland, FL

geneWj

my e-mail address is genotworivers@yahoo.com! send me a e-mail and I'll give U my phone number! Thanks
paul
Keep Learning!!

Gus

I was caught in bad weather out in the Chesapeake Bay last year in my Chrysler 22. Heavy boat, at least more than the Venture 22, and believe you me, it sucked!!
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/