News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Outboard motor trouble

Started by Godot, April 02, 2010, 02:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godot

When I took my outboard off the boat a couple years ago there was a problem.  It does not like to start in the cold (I got a fair bit of practice sailing off my anchor and short tacking up a narrow river as a result).  If the temp was warm enough to go without a jacket, it started right up.  Once running for a minute or two it runs like a champ.

After missing last season, I refuse to miss this season and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what might be wrong.

It is an Evinrude Yachtwin 8hp 2 stroke.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

s/v Faith

There is a little rod that attaches the choke lever (knob) to the choke butterfly on the carb.  Look at the rod, especally the little bent part where it attaches to the carb (and the other end that attaches to the knob).  Maybe it has become disconnected, the little plastic clips get old and break off....

If this is the case, you would be pulling the choke, but not actually choking the motor.  It would cause the EXACT symptom you describe.

If this does not fix it, get a can of starter fluid.  Now, DO NOT use this stuff all the time, as it is hard on a 2 stoke motor (it has no oil in it, and the motor starts without lubrication).  Occasional use is ok, just don't get carried away.  Good to have a can standing by, especially when the motor will not start on a "dark and stormy night" when you need it.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Godot

I've used the starter fluid as you mention; but it's a pain and I'm uneasy doing it.

The choke DOES work.  I can't start the motor in warm weather without it.  In cold weather nothing works.  I was guessing that there is a seal or something someplace that got brittle in cold weather; but that is a WAG.

I've rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump.  It's April already (and gorgeous weather); so I need to get on the ball.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Grime

I've got the same problem as Godot has. Have to use started fluid all the time to start. Suzuki 8 2 stroke. Once the motor is warm it will start but if I don't use it for an hour or so out comes the starter fluid.

If I take it to a shop here there is no telling what it will cost. All I can get is a quote of $60.00 per hour. Might cost more than a new motor by the time they can get it to starting right.

I'm just about ready to buy a 4 stroke new out of the box.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Lynx

IF you have not done si, Take off the carb and fule tank. Take them apart. Get a carb rebuild kit before starting. Clean with carb cleaner and replace all gaskets and hoses.

Replace pulgs and points (if you have them) Gap correctly. Clean all rust off motor. Check plug wire and if damaged replace.

If the motor has a lot of hours, you may want to clean any deposits off the piston and inside the exaust pipe Seek good advice.
MacGregor 26M