News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New Portlights!

Started by Bubba the Pirate, July 29, 2010, 01:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba the Pirate

I am starting to make some visible progress on the the boat.  I have 8 portlights, 6 of which are 5x12.  I've just finished replacing those six smaller ones with Tri Matrix Ports from New Found Metals.  Very nice ports, well made.  Have a look at the process/progress:

http://picasaweb.google.com/toddrtownsend/Ports?feat=directlink

Have Fun,
Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Capt. Tony

Nice work, Todd! 

I noticed the portlight right out of the box came packed with mahogany spacers.  Wow-eight portlights?!?  You won't be able to keep a hat on down below with that much air flow. ;D  From your photos it looked like there wasn't much wind blowing that day.  I love a hot summer day, but, a little breeze is a must.

Are you going to replace the larger portlights too?  Eight of thoses buggers sounds expensive!  But like I always tell my customers, no hobby is cost effective...  Make it a way of life and it might seem less expensive.

newt

I think New Found Metals makes some of the best ports I have seen. I have alot of them on my boat.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Bubba the Pirate

Quote from: Capt. Tony on July 29, 2010, 10:52:04 AM
Nice work, Todd! 

Are you going to replace the larger portlights too?  Eight of thoses buggers sounds expensive! 

Thanks.  I've been telling people that 6 ports was about three car payments.  But that didn't include the drill bushings, the epoxy, the 5200 and on and on. :o)

I'm going to definitely replace the larger ones.  They are 8x18 or something monstrous.  I think I've decided to glass the holes shut and then cut in for the only other size New Found makes which is approx 7x14. Then all my ports will match as well. 

I agree with Newt not only very nicely designed and built but nice people too. 

Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~