News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Thickened Epoxy and Syringes

Started by Captain Smollett, September 18, 2010, 04:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Found out today that WEST epoxy resin thickened with their 403 Microfibers does NOT work with syringes to squirt into small places.  The microfibers plugged up the orifice allowing purer resin to squirt through until the orifice became completely plugged.

So, I ended up mixing thinner than I normally would like so it would pour.

Been using 406 Colloidal Silica for a year with no problem.  This has allowed me to inject a thicker mix.

The syringes I am using are 12 ML Monoject syringes I got in bulk from a horse vet.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

I have never had much luck with injecting epoxy, but have come up with some work arounds...

where were you injecting it?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

LOL- nope- you ain't gonna inject microfibers-makes way to thick a mix. But you can use a baggie with the corner clipped off, or a cake decorating syringe. Big opening of course.

Microfibers are more for gluing two parts together- holds the epoxy in the joint. I wouldn't even attempt to inject that mix.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Craig:  I use the syringes to fill old screw holes and other small places like that.  This way, I can mix (with 406) it thick enough to not sag.  This time, I was filling around the core-cell on the recoring project, and between pieces of coring, I left a gap 'just big enough' for the tip of the syringe...hoping to make very short work of squeezing some into the gap.

I ended up mixing the 403 a bit thinner and just 'spooning' it in with a flat stick.

CJ: Yep, now I know.  I'll try the zip-lock bag with a corner cut off; that's sounds like a good idea.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain