News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Boat Swap...Yikes

Started by SV Wind Dancer, September 26, 2010, 09:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV Wind Dancer

I have a heck of an opportunity to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I should...I have been living aboard a '77 Cherubini Hunter 27' for 3 years, I bought the boat pre-crisis price for 4k, it is in OK shape, no major concerns...and to make a long story short, I've been offered a straight across swap for a Tayana 48' center cockpit that is basically sound, but needs tlc from stem to stern.  My income level is subsistence level, and getting this ship sailing might be biting more off than I can chew.  The owner says he can guarantee me $300mo l/a slip rent while I work on it.  I somewhat feel like I was almost ready for my escape to my dream of ultra-cheap on the hook living, but now I'm being tempted to dock bondage with the coin of mammon, foot-itis squared.  I look at that beat up gigantic hull and think "Well I dreamed of being the captain of a sailing cargo ship (a la John Wayne/Red Witch etc.)" and then I check my bank and I come back to beans-and-franks reality.  Wheels still turning tho...

Captain Smollett

You did not really ask for input, but I'll offer mine anyway.

Smaller is better.  My opinion.

(1) 48 ft is a LOT of boat.  Compared to your 27 footer, you are talking bigger sails (and loads), deeper draft, more bottom paint every year, bigger slips (when you DO enter a slip while cruising...it does happen), bigger yard fees on the hard, longer and larger diameter lines and wire when re-rigging is in order, etc.  Philosophy aside, all this equates to MORE MONEY.  Cost of ownership is going to be HUGE compared to your Hunter.

(2) I'm not a big fan of center cockpit designs...but this may be as much subjective taste as objective pros and cons.

(3) Going "now" on a small boat seems preferable to waiting to be able to afford to properly fit out the larger one.  A lot of people abandon cruising dreams on the basis of cost and the 'size' of the project.  Part of that is caused by biting off more boat that is really needed or is desirable.

Anyway, those are just a couple of thoughts.

Good luck with your decision.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

rorik

I have had a Ranger 22', a 26' Frisco Flyer, a 1938 36' sloop and now a 28' Cape Dory.
Of those four boats, the Flyer was the easiest to sail and the Cape Dory has just the right amount of liveaboard space. In the year or so that I had the 36', I only sailed her twice due to the size of the rig and the seemingly endless minor repairs/maintenance.
After 2 major refits (Flyer and Cape Dory) I have one question to ask you: Do you want to do repairs/maintenance or go sailing?
A smaller boat will let you go sailing sooner and more often.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

jotruk

I don't post much but I feel like I need to chip in on this. I have dreamed a long time of taking off to off shore islands and feel like I am finally going to be able to go after the first of the year in my boat. I also have a 27 ft hunter of the same vintage as yours. I had the chance to purchase a 38 footer and after weighting the cost over the nice to have items I realized that my boat was paid for and that I could afford to up date and replace things that need to be done a whole lot cheaper and a lot sooner with the smaller boat. My wife said that she feels comfortable on the 27 and that she didnot think that she could handle the lines and sails on the bigger boat. My plans call for her to be with me and if she is happy so am I. Also just a note on cost, my 27 will cost about 125 to tie up on the coast and the 38 would have been about 3 time as much.  So I am keeping my 27 and have started to replace standing rigging and sails.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

CharlieJ

We just spent several months in the Bahamas, cruising in company with a friend who was single hand on a 41 footer. Often, we sailed or motor sailed while he motored, or motor sailed with just his jib. Why? Just simply to much work getting the sails up, then stowing them for shorter passages.

Also, we were often tucked in fairly close to the shores, where he was a LONG way out- way more draft than us.

Additionally- price anchors and chain for a 27 footer, then for that 48. AND-  we paint the bottom with a single gallon for two coats- he uses three.

If Laura and I decide to become full time liveaboards, we'll be looking for something no larger than about 32 feet. More is just to much work and expense.

I will grant this- the bigger boat is more comfortable in over 25 knot winds but mostly we sailed in less.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

That's too much of a boat unless you are going to do charter, or saoling school or similar.

swapping it for your 4K boat is obviously tempting as  a piece of business... If you cn afford the refitting /repair whatever needed on the tayana and you can do the work AND think you gonna make money selling it afterwards it could maybe be worthwile.....

just my rwo cents, haven't walked a mile in your shoes, OR seen that boat myself.

IN my opinion I could go for a project boat IF it's mostly about man-hours. If it needs lots of dollars put into it . no way!

good luck with whatever you choose, and keep us posted IF you go for it.
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

SV Wind Dancer

I agree, all the way around.  I can't fault the logic.  I wish the illogical part of my brain would quit telling me to gut it out and turn it into a sailing cargo vessel.  Crazy.  Too many books and old movies.   

geneWj

Stay Small!
After owning several boats, one a 32' er which we extensively cruised.  I*'m a firm believer in SMALL.  The 32' er was set up so I could handle it alone, otherwise it was too big.  28-30 ft something like Tom Scott's Morgan 30 would be ideal for cruising.
Shoal draft, centerboard, room for extra stowage.  Not too heavy of anchoring gear.
one could go on and on.  I'm not offshore cruising anymore or living aboard so First born is ideal for my needs.
geneWj
Keep Learning!!

SV Wind Dancer

Its not about aesthetics.  I may prefer a quarter horse, but if offered a trade for a Clydesdale of greater potential value, I may consider whether a Clydesdale is something I can work with and commit to.  In addition, whether I can afford to feed the bastid.  I sure don't want to put any marina owners' kids thru college.  Curious, what kind of anchor setup would you use for something like that?

SV Wind Dancer

Just putting a period to the thread...I decided against the big boat, the H27 is nearly ready to go, and so am I...   

JWalker

Grog for a great decision.
;D