s/v 'Puff' the Snapdragon, a great loop Great adventure!

Started by s/v Faith, October 25, 2010, 08:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapdragon

Friday morning brought partly cloudy skies with a forecast of light variable winds and a chance of local thundershowers. Raising anchor at 7:00 am, I motored into Blackwater Bay expecting flat calm and no wind for the run to Pensacola. As I proceeded south down Blackwater Bay I began to encounter the forecast light and variable, which turned to a steady southwest at 5 to 10 as I rounded Garcon Point. Right on the nose of course. Already half way into the run to Pensacola, I decided to continue on in spite of the threatening sky. By the time I passed under the Garcon Point bridge My progress was being slowed to little more than two kts by surprisingly strong headwinds and waves as large as i've ever seen on Escambia Bay. The warm rain driving across the water seemed to help flatten the breaking crests and provided a refreshing rinse for the salty spray coming over the bow. Progress was slow, even though I increased the throttle setting on the little 9.8 Nissan to about 75 percent, running it much harder than ever before. Approaching the Pensacola Bay bridge gave some relief from the waves while in its lee, but after passing under I began to encounter more confused wave patterns echoing from the port facility jetties and downtown seawalls. While still a safe distance from a lee shore I took the opportunity to switch to a full fuel tank.  The wind and wave conditions continued to build as I became exposed to the increased fetch around the west end of Gulf Breeze. By the time I reached the Bayou Chico channel I was glad to make the turn north, even though it meant taking the waves on the beam. Of course the engine assumed an "automatic rough" sound as soon as it's failure would guarantee total destruction of the boat, but understanding the psychology of such things, I continued on. Upon entering the smooth waters of Bayou Chico I refrained from reducing power because I could see that I was in a race with an oncoming squall line as to which of us would reach the anchorage at the head of the bayou first.  Just as it was turning into a dead heat, I turned out of the channel, aimed for my intended anchoring spot, and reduced throttle. The little engine instantly stalled, and refused to restart. While still in the edge of the channel, I flipped the switch on the electric anchor windlass and let out forty feet of chain just as the squall hit. Thirty minutes later the wind was down to almost zero and I was able to row the last hundred yards to my destination. 
The big boat always has the right of way!
"Puff"
1970 Thames Snapdragon 26, twin keel

Snapdragon

Saturday morning, I'm anchored near Pensacola Shipyard trying to figure out what happened to the motor. I can get it to start on a high throttle setting, but as soon as I slow it down any it stalls.  Running at a very high idle it has an unpleasant ragged sound with a pronounced vibration. Checking the electrical system, I find that the alternator/start circuit fuse is blown and the resistance of the alternator coil is zero ohms.  I'm not sure if this is one problem, or two. Does a blown alternator cause the engine to run rough?

This is not the place or time to delve into the mysteries of things under the flywheel, so I unship the motor and lower it into the dinghy. Nancy will drive over in the truck to pick me up, and I'll Try to get professional help with this thing on Monday. 
"Puff"

CharlieJ

I'd bet two problems.

Tehani's engine had the "wouldn't run at idle" syndrome and it was a bit of trash (water I think) in the idle jet. Washed that out with carb cleaner and ended that  trouble.

Wouldn't even conjecture on the other.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Snapdragon

Looks like I'm not going to get much help with the motor problem today. Local dealers won't even talk to me without an appointment in three weeks. Local shadetree guy didn't know they made such a machine. 
Frustrating. 
Just completed ordering a new Tohatsu 6 hp extra-long shaft four stroke single cylinder,front shift, manual start with alternator and remote tank. End of problem. 
It should be here in about three days. I'll just flush the salt out of the Nissan and put it in the barn until I run out of something to do. 
"Puff"

mrb

You may have this already but could I suggest adding at least a in-line fuel filter before running your new motor.  One of the glass ones with a changeable cartridge is what I use.  I also use strictly non ethanol gas but that would be hard to find on a cruise.  I wold use one of the larger bulkhead mounted fuel/water separators with the spin on cartrage but am not sure in a small outboard could create enough vacuum for it.  Any way what Charlie said about the water is true and caused me no end of trouble with a 5hp Tohatsu.  I now have a 5hp Honda and am babying it when it comes to bad gas.

My Tohatsu Had the same problem, would not run at idle and it was water.  Trouble was you could clean the carb but next batch of gas with a little water and you had same problem again.

Snapdragon

Thanks, sounds like very good advice.  I've tried to be very careful to have clean plastic tanks with suction filters, fresh non ethanol gas, and clean engine fuel filters.  Before I run the new motor I'll install a large spin on cartrage filter, clean out the fuel tanks again, and refill with fresh non ethanol gas with a shot of Seafoam fuel additive.  I haven't tried it yet, but the Seafoam was recommended by the people who are selling me the motor.  I should think that the added restriction of the extra filter would not be too much for the fuel pump to overcome since the fuel tanks are at almost the same level as the engine and very little vertical lift is required.  It's worth a try at least. 
"Puff"

Snapdragon

I'm not having any luck with the 9.8 Nissan.  I flushed out the carb with fresh gas treated with Seafoam from a new tank and new hose and  put in new sparkplugs, but it still doesn't run right.  I'm pretty sure that it's only running on one cylinder.  I do have one solution to the problem though.......

The new Tohatsu 6 hp arrived yesterday.  I've spent the morning checking, servicing, and tank testing it.  It goes on the boat tomorrow afternoon and I'll spend a few days breaking it in around the Pensacola area, weather permitting. 
"Puff"

Snapdragon

Made the run down to Navarre today, motorsailing to break in the new motor. Very light winds for most of the way, then one heckuva thunderstorm about two hours after anchoring. 40 kt gusts in a poorly protected anchorage makes me really love all chain rode and CQR anchors! 
"Puff"

CharlieJ

Go for Little Sabine Bay if it's iffy- just west ofQuietwater, under bridge, south side, and well protected.

Also Sand Island at Ft McRae- good holding, easy  to the beach.

After that, Pirates Cove (well, Roberts Bayou) But you know that place.

Good sailing. Hope your engine troubles are done.

Or are you heading SE? Then Ft Walton has free dock, and pumpout.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Snapdragon

After a calm night, woke up to threatening skies and almost no wind. By 07:30 the thunderstorms began to come ashore from the gulf. Plenty of gusty winds from all directions, but mostly from the south, which is the best direction for this anchorage. Much better than yesterdays three ft chop from the west. Steady rain set in at 08:30, but still storm cells on all sides.

About 10:00 the rain passed and the sun came out a little. The thunderstorms seem to be holding a few miles offshore and moving East parallel to the ICW. I had made up my mind to stay put for the day, but i don't like this anchorage and the break in the weather was too tempting. Anchor up at 10:15 and made best speed with sail and motor towards Fort Walton Beach and a better anchorage.

About 13:30 i spotted just what i was looking for. A little nook just off the channel in the lee of a sand dune in "the narrows" a half mile West of all the condos. The water was a little deeper than i expected... 9 ft within spitting distance of the shore... but i'll take it!  
"Puff"

Snapdragon

Monday, 8/20/12
Rain, starting at 03:30. It slacked off to a light mist by08:30 and looked like it might be clearing, so i bailed out the dingy and used the rainwater to do a bucket of laundry. Turned out that there was plenty of water to rinse with, there must have been 30 gallons of water in that little Zodiac.  By 09:45 it stopped raining, so i decided to leave this nice anchorage and move a little further East. Anchor up just after 10:00 and motored toward Choctawhatchee Bay against a pretty stiff incoming tide. Thirty minutes under way and it began raining. By the time i got to the Fort Walton Beach town docks, it was a steady downpour. Anchored just off the town dock to wait out the rain. Amazing.... Rained all day to the point of white-out conditions. Fortunately, the rain has kept the temperature down to the pleasant mid seventies, but it's going to take a while for my laundry to dry. 
"Puff"

CharlieJ

Town docks are free, and it's a very short walk to stores. The Indian Mound is really close by too. If it rains too much, be worth a day exploring. I liked it there.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Snapdragon

Tuesday, 8/21/12
Up at 06:00 and the rain has stopped. Looks like the weather is improving. Anchor up at 06:45 and motored out into Choctawhatchee Bay. Spent most of the day tacking against an east wind, but by afternoon the wind had shifted to southeast and I was able to make some progress for a little while. As I approached the east end of the bay it shifted back to the east, and I motored the rest of the way to the canal that connects to West Bay.  Pulled into a shallow side creek (Tucker Bayou) far enough to get away from passing boat wakes. Anchored in three feet of water - depth sounder showing 2.5 feet. My tide chart shows I should be able to get out if I leave before 08:00 tomorrow. 
"Puff"

Snapdragon

Wednesday, 8/22/12
Had a pleasantly cool night, and woke refreshed and ready to go. Navigated the shallows back into the ICW with no problems, and motored the ditch to West Bay, arriving at noon. 
There are no services at the east end of the ditch. Just a restaurant that opens after 16:30 and an airboat alligator tour/tourist trap business. Not a very friendly place. 
Back in the boat, and continued toward Panama City,  motoring all the way. I really hadn't intended to travel so far in one day, but I think learning to pace myself will come with experience. Anchored in Massalina  Bayou at the back steps of the County  Courthouse. About 32miles today. 
"Puff"

Snapdragon

Thursday, 8/23/12
Secured the boat for hurricane Isaac. I've got a lot of things to do ashore in preparation for the storm, so I'll be back and forth for the next few days. 
"Puff"

Snapdragon

I've taken a two week break from my travels to attend to hurricane issues and visit with family.  I'll post a few pictures of the trip through the ditch to Panama City before I return to Puff tomorrow.

Here's the reason water flows outward into the bays from both ends of the ditch.
"Puff"

Snapdragon

"Puff"

Snapdragon

"Puff"

Snapdragon

"Puff"

Snapdragon

Wednesday, 9/5/12
Back to the boat, and it looks like she survived the weather just fine in my absence. It rained on me almost the whole way on my drive back to Panama City, and continued to rain until I finished ferrying everything out in the dingy. Then the sun came out to warm things up in the late afternoon. Almost finished re-rigging before dark.  Spent a quiet night in the anchorage. 

Thursday, 9/6/12
Finished up the detail items for getting under way about mid-morning, then took some time to explore an anchorage across the bay from Panama City Marina.  Finally decided to make some miles about 11:00 am and set sail for the east end of the bay. Arrived at the entrance to Walker Bayou just before 16:00 and anchored for the night. Got to watch some Dolphins slowly feeding in the wide, shallow mouth of the bayou. 

Friday, 9/7/12
Got an early start to make the run part way through the canal from Walker Bayou to White City. Motored all the way, against the wind and current, but at least there was very little traffic. Took advantage of the water and public restrooms available at the park next to the bridge, but didn't stay long due to the busy launch ramp and lack of stores in the area. Motored east for about five miles to Horseshoe Creek, which is identified on my chart by the description "impenetrable swamp". A very restful anchorage. 

Saturday, 9/8/12
 Woke at 05:30 to the sound of rain. Daylight showed a heavy overcast, with locally heavy showers, but very little thunder and almost no wind. Settled in for a long wet day. The rain was quite warm, about the same temperature as the air, and the most pleasant way to pass the day was to get out in it and scrub down the topsides. Being out in a cypress swamp with the warm rain pouring down kinda reminds me of when I was a kid. 
"Puff"