News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Plexi/Lexan polishing

Started by CapnK, November 24, 2010, 12:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

For the past few years I have been using toothpaste to clean and polish Katie's portlights. It works pretty good, and is usually around for use. Prior to that, I used a rubbing compound/wax product for fiberglass, but it didn't last very long.

Then this spring I had an idea, after seeing a TV commercial; I went to the store and got one of those automotive headlight polishing kits.

Have to say that the results do exceed those of using toothpaste. The kit I have comes with 4 grades of foam-backed, very small grit, wet-type sandpaper, a bottle of 'lubricant', another of 'clarifying compound', and a moist towelette-type wipe that is labeled "Lens Sealant". I did not use that last piece of kit, and the ports still look good. I think the whole thing cost $10-15, and it seems as if it will last through several more polish cycles.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Mr. Fixit

From my experience any wet/dry paper above 1000 grit should polish plastics--1000 may not make it really glossy, 1500 grit should be acceptable--depending on material---2,000 grit will make it glossy-- the auto paint store I deal with stocks paper to 2,000 grit. Up to 12,000 grit is available. Of course the finer the grit the longer it takes--I use soapy water for lubricant--no special reason.

rorik

Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Mr. Fixit

any product that is abrasive can be used for polishing. Tooth paste is a good illustration. Since the aggressiveness (size) of the abrasive is related to the time it takes to get the desired result, i prefer to use wet/dry paper. That allows me to try different size abrasives to determine which one i feel is best for the job, and the result i want. I also think it is cheaper to stock different grades of abrasive paper than prepared products. Toothpaste and baking soda are cheaper,however they may require a lot of time to get the desired result----having said that any abrasive will work---sand would be great if there was a way to sieve it to 1,500 to 2,000 grit---wish i knew how to do that!!!!!

Mario G

On the C-26 companion way I was able to take them from

to

with wetsanding with 1000 grit then 2000 grit sand paper then 3M's fine rubbing compond

Frank

WOW....guess there is hope for old plexi
God made small boats for younger boys and older men