Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Southcoast Seacraft

Started by tomwatt, March 06, 2011, 01:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Looks pretty neat.

Sometimes I wish we had a stern rail on Tehani to mount a grill on, but alas, 'tis not to be ;).
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

tomwatt

Responding (in no particular order)...
I'm thinking Magma Catalina grill... but having just bought 4 new tires, the grill will have to wait a month or so.

As far as paint goes... I pulled the source catalog for SW stuff, and the only thing I am sure I can't make a good, solid substitution on is bottom paint - not because they don't make it, but because the only version they make is for the Navy, and is sold in enormous-sized lots. I've been running comparisons between Don Casey's book, Interlux (and other's) MSDS sheets, and the Sherwin-Williams catalog.

Already located a much better substitute for metal primer, a product called Kem Kromik (xylene-based rust inhibitive primer that will withstand immersion with a suitable topcoat) which I'm going to use on the trailer and underneath my Jeeps. And probably on my cast-iron drop keel.

There are several linear polyurethanes for topsides and deck paint, but I haven't settled on the best fit yet. I have been looking for below-waterline prospects, but plan to get some assistance from one of the technical reps. to tackle that.

Just a suggestion, all Sherwin-Williams stores are corporate-owned, and have access to a hotline for technical assistance. If you bring in an empty can from a competitor and have them call in for you, somebody that spends his/her life doing paint chemistry can tell you exactly what you need. You can also take the MSDS data from different manufacturers and do a comparison.

Sadly, I'm thinking of getting a spray rig. So I can see myself spending less time bobbing up and down, and more time squirting paint out.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

tomwatt

Here's the link to the knowledge center:
http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/knowledge/index.jsp
And yes, it is true that there are a lot of regionally-blended paint types. After all, the paint needed for a house in Maine is significantly different than that for a house in Houston. Mildew in the Gulf area is so fierce, it eats holes in house paint.
Interlux has their MSDS info available from their website here:
http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/default.aspx
Once I've settled on some solid choices, I'll post the info up, probably with a link to the product info sheet.
Please understand I'm not doing this as a commission thing, or to receive any credit or remuneration...

in a staff meeting the other day, my boss said something about "we're all sales oriented" to which I replied "no, I'm boat oriented."

The most notable thing I see on these products is that "boat" products are way overpriced (I know, I know, like I just now noticed??) but are often identically replaceable by a "marine/industrial" item for less money. Conveying that info is what I'd like to do for my fellow SailFarers.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Jim_ME

Tom, Congrats, too, on getting the boat.
Good luck with your work on the trailer.

-Jim