News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Rope Bag

Started by excavman, April 06, 2011, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

excavman

When you open a can of worms re-canning them always seems to take a larger can, Murphy's Law. The same can be said about a new sleeping bag. Once you take it out of the factory storage bag/carry bag it is almost impossible to get it back in. Well, I found a good use for that empty sleeping bag bag.

In preparation for my upcoming trip I dug the big anchor out of its storage place under the front of the v-berth. The rode was a balled up tangled up mess. It is 150 feet of 3/4 inch three strand nylon.

I read somewhere that the best way to keep a rope from getting tangled is to stuff it helter-skelter into a rope bag and pull it back out as needed.

Need I say more?
Chrysler C-22
S/V Sally Ann

Captain Smollett

Quote from: excavman on April 06, 2011, 07:08:45 PM

The same can be said about a new sleeping bag. Once you take it out of the factory storage bag/carry bag it is almost impossible to get it back in.

Hmmm.  I've never had that problem with a sleeping bag.

Tents, on the other hand ...
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Oldrig

Quote from: excavman on April 06, 2011, 07:08:45 PM
I read somewhere that the best way to keep a rope from getting tangled is to stuff it helter-skelter into a rope bag and pull it back out as needed.

I stuff put my anchor rode into the bow locker in a loosely coiled figure-8. It works well for a three-strand nylon rode.

Of course, you've got to have an anchor locker for this to work. :)

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Tim

If you feed it in from one end it will come out smoothly, just like in a anchor rode locker. I have stuffed hundreds of rescue ropes that way.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward