Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Rocna Fail!

Started by s/v Faith, April 19, 2011, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on June 20, 2011, 01:25:04 PM
Is this REALLY the last post in almost 48 hours???or is something going on with the site?

Time warp>?  Glitch in the Matrix?

... maybe a ploy by a Chinese anchor mfg?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

haidan

From what I understand of metallurgical theory in regard to anchors is that the shank has to be made from some sort of tempered steel, like T1 or something like that, it's the same (or close to) steel used for high speed cutting tools, like drill bits. Ever bent a drill bit, usually they break, when ever I see an anchor twisted like that (usually it's some danforth knock-off) I figure the shank was made from some more regular mild steel. The weld on the shank to the flukes is usually way over done and I have yet to see an anchor broken there. I believe one has to heat the tempered steel cherry red before welding but even if that isn't done the weld is probably still stronger than the parent metal.
And what is with this anti-Chinese steel thing? where do you think most of the steel in the world comes from, I bet just about every piece of steel that has ever been recycled has gone though Chinese mills.
I've always liked the design of these rocnas style anchors and will probably build myself one this winter.

CharlieJ

I sure hope none of my anchors have tempered shanks!!! It would be very bad to have one NOT bend under an unfair load and break instead.

Besides-my working anchor is a casting, as are many of the Bruce style.

No real Danforh I've ever seen had a tempered steel shank and as of this moment I own six of them, from four to twenty pounds.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

haidan

No I would bet they all have tempered shanks other wise they would just bend when the anchor has to change direction once buried. Put a 24" long 3"x1/2" mild steel flat bar in a vise and hit it with a sledge or even just by hand, you'll see what I mean, the force needed to bend a piece of tempered steel like that would be something much higher than the force needed to break your 3/8 chain or 3/4" triple braid, so you needn't worry about that. That's why it's done that way.

CharlieJ

And bend they do. I've seen at least three Danforths with bent shanks. Bent badly too! One held a 40 ft motorsailer during Hurricane Ivan and that shank is bent like the letter C. Two more that hung under coral heads in the Bahamas- both were now shaped like a '('.

And just day before yesterday I saw a true CQR with a shank bent about 25 degrees.

So yeah, they DO bend.

Again- far better to bend, than to break.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Steve Bean

Yes, better bend and hold than break and go adrift.

s/v Faith

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Yowza! I think that cinches it!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Captain Smollett

Update:

As of last month, the Rocna brand has been purchased by Canadian Metal Pacifics (CMP) and they are going to be manufacturing in both Canada and China.

They are starting out their ownership of Rocna with an attempt to put out the customer confidence forest fire.

More detail here:

http://www.sail-world.com/Cruising/international/New-Rocna-owners-allay-quality-fears,-rebuild-brand/89158
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain