Officially in the Market...Finally!

Started by Chattcatdaddy, October 27, 2011, 04:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chattcatdaddy

Announcing that I`m now officially in the buying market after many years of just saving and dreaming

I say this so if anyone spots a sailfar type boat out there to please drop me a message if possible. After countless hours of looking at boats on the internet I have fallen into the Alberg sickness  ;D

I`m trying to limit my searcg area to NC, SC, FL, VA
Short List:
Cape Dory 22, 25
Alberg 22
Compac 23
Pearson Ariel
Albin Vega 27
Bristol 24
etc....

This CD22 has caught my attention and I have inquired for more info from the owner. Sounds good but don`t they all look good in the ads!
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/24381
Update..the boat sold already...guess it was a good deal!

I would also like to formally thank Capt. Smollett who took the time a few months ago to inspect an Ariel that was for sale in his area and save me a 500 mile road trip.
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Oldrig

Have you looked at the Cape Dory site, www.capedory.org? There's a section off the main menu called "buy/sell Cape Dory boats and gear."

The smaller Cape Dory boats on your list don't have standing headroom, but they're nicely built boats. If you're looking for something a bit bigger, the CD25D has what is called 5' 11" standing headroom and an inboard diesel. It's similar to the Ariel.

Good luck!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Chattcatdaddy

I`m not sure how I feel about standing headroom just yet. Kinda mixed feelings on the matter and definitely not a deal breaker at this point in the search. My Cal 29 had standing headroom, so I really say if I would miss it or not. Boats from 22-26 ft don`allow much walking around so how important it is will remain to be seen. It will start to greatly limit the boats on the smaller end of my shortlist if it does become a top priority. It also help that I`m 5`8 feel sorry for you 6 ft plus guys on these sailfar type boats.
Keith

Captain Smollett

There might be an additional dimension to 'standing head room' than walking around below.

"Standing" means stuff like being able to stand up to get dressed.  Yes, you can do this hunched over, but it is MUCH less comfortable.

My little trailer boat does not have standing headroom.  At 18 ft LOA, there's certainly no where to walk to below, but just getting in/out of the v-berth is a bit of a trick as are the quarter berths (that pass for 'settees' on an 18 footer).

If there are two adults on board and both are below, getting 'past' one another can be tricky, too.

YMMV.  I know I did not really care one way or another about 'standing head room' til I had a boat that had it.  Be hard for me to go back now...   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Amen to that. For me that place to stand makes all the difference.

On the previous boat we could do 12--14 day cruises and then the lack of a place to stand became a big deal. Tehani only has about a four foot long area where I can stand(5'8"). But that area has made full time cruising comfortable for me for over two years now. I can stand to cook, do dishes, mix a drink, etc

Personally I 'd never even LOOK at a boat I couldn't stand up in in at least ONE spot, even if that was only under the companionway slide. I know many do it and have dTone it, but not this guy.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Chattcatdaddy

The only extended time I have spent on a boat without standing headroom is a 5 day trip helping a friend from Fl Keys to Ft Myers. It was not a discmfort on that trip, but I was 12 yrs younger and it was just for that trip and we could stand under the companionway. Considering I will be a liveaboard headroom might move up the priorty list.

I have sent out for info on a Triton, Compac 23, and Cape dory 25 for sale in FL.  So a trip to florida could be in order in the next few weeks. Also a Albin Vega in VA.
Keith

Oldrig

Quote from: Chattcatdaddy on October 28, 2011, 07:28:10 AM
I have sent out for info on a Triton, Compac 23, and Cape dory 25 for sale in FL.  So a trip to florida could be in order in the next few weeks. Also a Albin Vega in VA.

I owned a lovely 18-foot catboat, with sitting headroom, before I bought my CD 25D. As my wife and I got older, that kneeling part became harder and harder to take.

BTW, the Cape Dory 25, though a super boat, doesn't have standing headroom. The others on your list, except possibly the Compac, do. They're all boats worth looking at.

Best of luck,

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Kemm

I own ComPac 23 and it does not have standing head room.  However, building a small, hard dodger provides a little standing head room.

j d

Hey chattcat, your short list has a big range. The difference between a cd CD22 and the Albin Vega isn?t just 5 feet. The 27 footer is twice as big. Maybe you are a cruiser at heart.

When I started looking at boats I almost bought a Bayfield 25. I liked almost every thing about it. Liked it?s shoal draft full keel and attached rudder, it?s standing head room (I?m 5? 8?also ), had a nice interior layout, and a diesel engine. It also isn?t hard to find one on a trailer. But when I bought my first and only boat I went with the CD 27. I?m also enamored by Alburg designs. Never have I been sorry that I got a little bit bigger boat. It?s stronger, safer and  more comfortable at sea, yet small enough to easily single hand and haul outs are still not too pain full. Good luck with your search.
s/v Meander
Cape Dory 27
Presently berthed in Antioch, CA
exploring the Delta and bay

Cruise

Hey y'all,
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in here seeing as I have lived on a number of different boats.
There is no way that I would consider a boat that did not have standing headroom if I was planning on staying aboard overnights. After a long day of sailing, I need a comfy cabin to go down below to. For me, no standing headroom would be a deal-breaker.
JD is correct on how a boat doubles in size unproportionately with the length. I went from a 20' Ensenada trailer sailer to a 27' Albin Vega, to a 34' Olympian, and every 7 feet definitely doubled the size of living space down below.
The Albin that I had was a great boat. The headroom was listed as 5'10", and I'm 5'9 3/4", so it was just enough.
My other advice is this,and I know that it's not easy; take your time and try to get the best boat you can. There are lots of boats for sail right now& some amazing deals. I would also suggest looking in the Norfolk,VA area. There are gobs of sailboats in the area, and it is not a far sail to the New Bern area if that is where you want to keep the boat. I bought my current boat (an Allied Seawind) up there last June for a song.
Good luck.       Keith
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

SeaHusky

Quote from: Kemm on November 05, 2011, 08:36:24 AM
I own ComPac 23 and it does not have standing head room.  However, building a small, hard dodger provides a little standing head room.
A lot of the smaller boats with a stepped coachroof only have a few feet of standing headroom.
If you build a fully enclosed(able) hard dodger or doghouse with standing headroom. Is this enough or does it still feel cramped?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

CharlieJ

Tehani hasstanding headroom in the main cabin only. An area about four feet long. I've found thatto be plenty over the last few years.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bonzai

Sent you a PM Chatdaddy.Congratulations on whatever you buy!A great boat is one that becomes worth more to you than it costs!

Chattcatdaddy

The search continues...seen a CD25 in NC that was more of a project than I would want to tackle. Also got a feeler out on a Bristol 27 in FL that looks good in the ad. If I hear back from the seller soon about nore specific details I may take a drive down to see the boat after Xmas. Most likely try to arrange a few more boats to view and walk the docks to see what else I can find.
Keith

Oldrig

Quote from: Chattcatdaddy on December 19, 2011, 03:23:42 PM
The search continues...seen a CD25 in NC

The Bristol 27 is a good boat, with an easy-to-service outboard.

But you might look for a Cape Dory 25D, it's got standing headroom (at least for guys like me) and an inboard diesel.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas!

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

atrometer

Quote from: Chattcatdaddy on October 27, 2011, 04:26:15 PM
Announcing that I`m now officially in the buying market after many years of just saving and dreaming

I say this so if anyone spots a sailfar type boat out there to please drop me a message if possible. After countless hours of looking at boats on the internet I have fallen into the Alberg sickness  ;D

I`m trying to limit my searcg area to NC, SC, FL, VA
Short List:
Cape Dory 22, 25
Alberg 22
Compac 23
Pearson Ariel
Albin Vega 27
Bristol 24
etc....

This CD22 has caught my attention and I have inquired for more info from the owner. Sounds good but don`t they all look good in the ads!
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/24381
Update..the boat sold already...guess it was a good deal!

I would also like to formally thank Capt. Smollett who took the time a few months ago to inspect an Ariel that was for sale in his area and save me a 500 mile road trip.
August Trometer
North Fort Myers, FL

atrometer

Guess I did that wrong!!  I have a VERY nice VERY well equipped Nonsuch 22' you should look at.  239 849 4681
August Trometer
North Fort Myers, FL

s/v necessity

Not all B27's came with an outboard, some came from the factory with an inboard diesel!  I owned one, never did sail it, but I can say it was very well built.  (It came with a triad trailer I bought.)  Very nice boat.

Cruise

Saw this Cape Dory 28 listed. No motor, but an outboard would probably work on her.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/2735851825.html
  Good luck in your search.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

Chattcatdaddy

Well the search continues... The Bristol 27 I had my eye on has sold along with a Bristol 26 in Charleston, SC.

So now I have a lead on a Pearson Ariel that looks to be a heck of a deal. Whats the problem you ask...well location location location !!! The Ariel is in Maryland near Annapolis. Not such a big deal in warmer weather but kinda sux when I`m shopping in the winter and makes it hard to inspect a boat that far away. I could maybe set a deal up pending inspection and see how the seller would like to procede. I have sent an email suggesting this and will see what he says.

So anyone know a good surveyor or someone with a good knowledge of sailboats in that area that I could hire to maybe look the boat over?

If an inspection comes out as good as the seller claims then I could buy sight unseen (kinda scary) and keep the boat in storage in that area until around mid march and then sail it away to some warmer weather. Would be a nice shakedown and maybe set me up to give THE SCOOT a try. I know we have some chesapeake bay sailors here on the forum and wonder if the weather is tolerable for a march sail thru the bay?

Side Note: The seller is basically saying this boat is in bristol condition and is firm on the asking price. If true it is steal at the asking price!

Here is the description from an email:

2004 restoration by a professional boat yard owner in Baltimore. He has restored 4 Ariels. "All" exterior wood replaced with new teak, coated with Cetol Light. Topsides & decks (no soft decks) painted with Interlux Brightside, Interior: Interlux brightside with flattening agent for non-glossy finish, bottom (no blisters) has 2 coats ablative Interlux Micron Extra over Petit Trinadad. I bought Dec. 2010 price is firm. Strongback professionally reinforced above & below deck, no sag. Good rig & good engine & good sails (main, 150, 125, working jib, drifter; none need repair). Rudder covered in fiberglas and in excellent condition. Whisker pole. Head is a porta pottie. Boat is ready for spring launch after a washdown and one more coat of Micron Extra. I'm selling for a bigger boat to accomodate my kids & 5 grandkids. Few more photos attached. How would you transport to TN?
Keith