Officially in the Market...Finally!

Started by Chattcatdaddy, October 27, 2011, 04:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chattcatdaddy

Update! After speaking with seller and being told that the Ariel is in excellent structural condition along with good condition sails and excellent interior. I have re-arranged my work schedule to make time to drive to MD for an inspection tomorrow. If its as advertised I will make a deal on the spot.

Also the restoration of this boat was done by Youngs Boatyard near Baltimore for the owners personal boat. Anyone heard of this boatyards work?
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Oldrig

Sue Canfield is a surveyor in the Annapolis area. She did a quick survey for me once, advising that I NOT bother driving down from Massachusetts.

Ariels are terrific boats, as several on this board can attest.

Best of luck.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Chattcatdaddy on January 05, 2012, 02:05:13 PM

Also the restoration of this boat was done by Youngs Boatyard near Baltimore for the owners personal boat. Anyone heard of this boatyards work?

No personal experience, but they seem well thought of and have a decent reputation among the Alberg 30 Owner's Group.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Chattcatdaddy

Well after a 1500 mile round trip drive....I`m a new boat owner!!!!! ;D

Pearson Ariel 264?

Boat is in excellent sail away condition just needs a few cruising amenities.

Deck is rock solid. Rigging in good condition. Sails are good to excellent (main, working jib, 100, 135, nylon drifter)condition and hank-on. Mercury 5hp outboard is good condition. Interior is spotless with good cushions. All electrical is in good working condition. Teak is beautiful.

Only negative is that the boat is in Maryland. Not so much a bad thing as just not ideal. The marina starts splashing boats in April. So it will stay there until that time. I figure a few slight mods fro cruising and I will start to bring her down thru the Chesapeake in the spring. Should be an excellent shakedown sail.

How does one post pictures? I just cant seem to get them from my pc to the site, granted I`m not that computer savvy.

When I figure the picture issue out I will post some pics that the seller sent to me.
Keith

Chattcatdaddy

Pics
Restoration

By chattcatdaddy at 2012-01-08

Interior

Interior

Interior

Slip

Under sail

At dock

Keith

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

gregorygraham

Gregory Graham
Toronto
Sailing Vessel "Magy Mae"

Tim

Absolutely beautiful Keith, congratulations!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

Congrats, too. She does look beautiful.

I like the effect of painting so much of the interior white, while leaving varnished trim. It does seem like it brightens it up and may make it feel larger.

-Jim

CharlieJ

Quote from: Jim_ME on January 09, 2012, 02:45:37 AM

I like the effect of painting so much of the interior white, while leaving varnished trim. It does seem like it brightens it up and may make it feel larger.

-Jim

That's the Herreshoff style. I wouldn't even consider any other way to do an interior. All varnish turns it into a cave on dark cloudy days.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Chattcatdaddy

Thanks for all the compliments.

After setting up 2 other boat inspection trips and having the boats sold before I could get too them turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The ad for this Ariel "caught my eye"and I figured why not go and take a look. At first I was not going to bother looking for a boat that far north, but I figured if it was as good as it claimed then not getting as far south this season would be worth the sacrifice for many good seasons on a boat I really like.

Around 1992 I spent a year in Delaware and didn`t care much for the area. As the years have passed and my taste for the city life has faded and changed to the more simple pleasures. I have started to look at the Chesapeake with new eyes. During the drive around the Kent Island area where the boat is currently located I started to see its natural beauty. I`m really looking foward to sailing the bay this spring and bringing the boat down.
Keith

Captain Smollett

Hi Keith,

Congrats on the boat.   :)  Seems she was worth the wait.  As Craig has said in regard to helping me, and though my role was different in your case, I feel privileged to have been part of your process in some small way.

Please be sure to stop by here on your way South....what, next year or the year after after you've explored the Chesapeake for a while?   ;D ;D

--John
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Oldrig

Congratulations! She's a beauty. You'll be a happy sailor soon!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

CapnK

Gorgeous! I think the owner of #264 was Mike who as I recall was very active in boats...? Will have to check @pearsonariel.org, but at any rate she looks *fine*. :) Congrats, Keith!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Capt. Tony

Congratulations, Keith!  A blessing in disguise for sure.  There are so many great boats out there.  Then there are fewer great small boats.  And even less great small crafts in such good shape.  She looks to be well kept and in teriffic shape.  I am envious of you, sir.  Great new boat, a few short months from splashing and a plan in mind...We can't tell from the photos, do you have one of the inboard models there? 

Kurt, are you thinking of the urban legend, Mike Goodwin?  People come and go but they are never forgotten.

CapnK

I was kinda thinking of that Mike, but he is #45. Still looking...

So far, found this on Google:

Restoration of '65 Pearson Ariel #264, "Seahorse".

Funny, just how hard it is to find things using 'Search' on the Ariel site...  ::) ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Chattcatdaddy

Quote from: CapnK on January 09, 2012, 08:07:26 PM
I was kinda thinking of that Mike, but he is #45. Still looking...

So far, found this on Google:

Restoration of '65 Pearson Ariel #264, "Seahorse".

Funny, just how hard it is to find things using 'Search' on the Ariel site...  ::) ;D

Thats the boat. It was restored by the owner of Youngs boatyard as the owners personal boat.
Keith

CapnK

Well, I looked with a bunch of terms, including the boats old name Moonraker and newer Seahorse, even tried using Googles "site:pearsonariel.org" option, turned nothing up... BUT - Iceman (at pearsonariel.org and the same username here) had Commander #264, so maybe that is what was making me think I remembered the hull number. :)

Regardless, you're gonna be happy with her. :) And I guess that your name will be what searches on the ariel site for "#264" will turn up... ;D

On Edit: Looking closer at your pics - she's an outboard model but has the prop aperture of the inboard model. I can't remember if that's how they were OEM or not... anyway, that's just a comment on a 'noticing'. :) She also has an extra genoa track (or two) there by the cockpit. Uses the original cabin trunk red/green nav lights. All of the cabin fittings appear original and *new*. Strongback fix already in place, and nicely done. Looks like an excellent restoration.

One last thought: see if you can find out whether or not the insulation for the icebox was replaced during restoration. When I dismantled my icebox, I found that the insulation in mine had deteriorated to the point of 'useless' in the 40-odd years since installed. If they went so far as to do that, I will be amazed. :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Chattcatdaddy

I`ll see if the seller has any knowledge regarding the ice box. I know its still the original configuration that opens to the cockpit and interior. If he doesn`t know I`ll email Youngs boatyard.

Whats the going rate on a good condition Ariel? I paid $6000 and feel like I stole it.
Keith

Tim

You did steal it for the condition it is in :D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward