News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

System 3 wr- LPU

Started by phil416, November 16, 2011, 10:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil416

I just finished applying System 3 wr-lpu clear coat to Deep Blue.  The lessons learned were that this is a very different material than Perfection or Awlgrip.  It applies much thicker and does not respond well to roll and tip.  My best results came when I over thinned the paint and applied same with a 4" foam roller. all attempts to tip it left brush marks.  I now believe that the hvlp spray is the way to handle this paint.  Testing after allowing 30 days to cure ( beyond factory recomendations) the surface proved to be extremely hard.  The finish looked great at 25' but stippled up close, more from the sub layers than the clear coat.  Anyone else have any experience with this paint and would like to share.  Fair winds Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

link to Phil's Adventure thread.

Leroy - Gulf 29

Thanks, I've been waiting for someone to try the wr-LPU to see how it works. Appreciate you being the guiniea pig  :D

phil416

Thanks for the reply;  My experience leads me to believe we are best served by painting a dingy or some object than your boat first with this paint.  For sure there is a steep learning curve, but the rewards are equally great.  The voc chemicals that accomany the linear polyurathanes are expensive and bad for your health.  With wp lpu I use distilled water to thin and cleanup, cheap and harmless.  I hope others will give this a try and share their experience here.  Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

JWalker

I'm going to look more into it....I've not been happy with interlux.

cleaning with distilled water is great!

and its sprayable?

phil416

The factory literature recomends a hvlp sprayer.  Since no powerful solvents are present wr-lpu does not lift any paint underneath.  Nonetheless, I recomend careful prep, and I have had very poor results when temps were in the 50's.  I am going to rent a sprayer come spring and give my dingy a refresh. I,ll post the results. Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

JWalker

Sweet.

any idea how it holds up to "migration"? where if the dink is left in the water the paint bubbles?

phil416

I have no idea, but my dingy is on its last legs anyway and will be the test.  I will get a copy of System 3's tech sheet the next trip to Denver and post the info here. Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

phil416

Alert!!  I forgot to post a warning about spray painting wr-lpu.  Whhen the cross linker is added this becomes a chemical cure product.  Besides your obvious self protection, do not spray this stuff where anyone else might breathe it in.  It would be a trajedy if it coated someones lungs and cured in place.  Thanks for your attention  Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

JWalker

that is the problem with spraying most of the two parts....everyone says how great your boat looks.....at your funeral.

CharlieJ

Oh I wouldn't say that!! I've shot 10 or 12 boats with two part polys in the last 15 years. You justMUST be careful and have proper gear. Don't be sloppy with it.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

JWalker

i have a scuba tank.....does that count?

i should have preffaced....if you spray without the proper resperator.

ive been looking more into roll and tip because i don't want to buy the expensive fresh air breather.

i shot onepart because i could do it with less risk....the results were NOT worth it.

Leroy - Gulf 29

DQOTD... way too much time on my hands. :)  Can you use the turbine of a turbine sprayer for fresh air supply unit?  Of course I mean with the unit in fresh air.  I'd think you could use it, but am seeking advice from people with more experience than I.