News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Alberg 22

Started by Bill NH, December 04, 2011, 09:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill NH

Just picked up a new project boat, an Alberg 22.  Little sister to the Alberg 30 I used to have.  Very solid, no soft spots at all, but in need of, shall we say, "visual upgrading"... one of the POs painted her topsides with who knows what kind of paint (drips, runs and all) and what must have been a cheap chip brush that left half its bristles behind in the paint.  She's got alot of potential though, and came with a new set of tanbark sails and a dual axle trailer in the deal  ;D  Here we go again...

125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

Tim

WTG Bill, but be careful  ;D I thought my Ariel was going to get a little visual upgrading, now I am redoing the whole inside  ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

Sweet.  :)

Congrats.

Seems like a great size and setup with the tandem trailer. Small enough that you don't need a big tow vehicle, and can launch/haul/rig on your own--yet a large (and conservatively designed) enough to be quite seaworthy.

gregorygraham

Love that full keel design.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Sailing Vessel "Magy Mae"

ntica

nice little ship! also fancy longkeelers'

Oldrig

Handsome little lady, that!

Of course, as the owner of a small Alberg-designed boat (Cape Dory 25D), I'm hardly objective.

She should do beautifully.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Philpott

That is a loverly boat. I want one. I'm looking for an Alberg 22 in which to sail the singlehanded transpac from San Francisco to Hawaii in 2014. From where do you hail, and how can I find Ariel's little sister without traveling to Canada? Regards, Jackie in California

Cruiser2B

Quote from: Philpott on December 29, 2011, 12:26:54 PM
That is a loverly boat. I want one. I'm looking for an Alberg 22 in which to sail the singlehanded transpac from San Francisco to Hawaii in 2014. From where do you hail, and how can I find Ariel's little sister without traveling to Canada? Regards, Jackie in California
there is one for sale in oriental, NC
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=2353944&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=capelookoutyachts&&ywo=capelookoutyachts&;, not too sure if your in Cali or not but it might help. I was looking on CL for SF bay area and there are alot of good deals there as well. Many Alberg boats. Alberg 30 for 5K in Saulsolito. Good Luck on your search!
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Philpott

Hi, thank you for your response! Yes, I saw that Alberg 22, and it looks very appealing. I think I should sail a Alberg 22 before driving across the country. Call me wild and crazy. There are indeed lots of Albergs out here - larger ones. There are LOTS of boats here in the SF area. I guess I just have to be patient. Jackie jsphilpott@yahoo.com

Bill NH

Slow but steady.  After many hours of sanding, the nasty blue house paint is gone...  and as an added bonus, I discovered a boot stripe molded into the original gelcoat.  That'll save much time in taping the waterline when we get to painting!

Porter Wayfare

I'm zeroing in on an A22 myself. It sounds like you have plenty of experience, but I thought I'd mention an A22 group I joined that has been extremely helpful: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Alberg22/ in case you don't know about it yet.

I recommend this group also to philpott. I've run across her Ariel search thread on the Pearson Ariel site. I posted a "looking for an Alberg22" request in the Alberg 22 group and got several good leads in my area--the Great Lakes.

a wooden Wayfarer,  Solje  W1321

I can't watch the sea for a long time or what's happening on land doesn't interest me anymore.  -Monica Vitti

Tim

Lookin' good Bill   8)

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

ntica

Nice little ship. also a big fan of longkeelers!

Bill NH

Have sanded the topsides gelcoat all the way down to 320 grit, with a couple solvent washes and a good fresh water scrubbing to top it off.  Aiming somewhere between workboat and yacht finish.  Hopefully after the weekend it'll be a final solvent wash and then primer...

Tim

And Bill, there is another ready to go out here in the west  ;)

W.A. Ward

claire.giulini

Claire
The Sun Over the Yardarm
http://thesunovertheyardarm.com/

Bill NH

First finish coat, over two coats of primer.  Interlux Brightside "Hatteras Beige", rolled and tipped...

Headcase

Looks great. And not just because it is an Alberg.
If I knew what I was doing, where would the fun be?

Jim_ME

It does look great.

Well done.