News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Grib files, wind barbs

Started by ntica, December 30, 2011, 12:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntica

I've looked allaround for learning the "Windbarbs" and what htey means, they also come in differnet coulors, this must mean something? are "they" looking differnt in north/ south? can some one help me sort this out???
I'm thinking of downloading GRiB files...

Captain Smollett

Barbs fly with the wind. If you see a map with different colors, likely they are just being grouped.

There are some big problems with using gribs. Probably biggest is that they don't show fro ts and systems.

I personally prefer synoptic charts, and one can get these as from radiofax sources broadcast all over the world.

See this thread: http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,1806.msg29157.html#msg29157
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

ntica

thanks capt, smollet. looked into the US weather servicecs...and offcourse there it was! (I'm in so much hurry sometimes >:()
Maybe the "fax" is a better soloution?! But the grib files is for free...and you can predict for several days, in "huge ocean" area, but I don't know. just find it easy to use and somewhat reliable. And you can buy a "phone" for a decent amount of money today. we'll see...

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Captain Smollett on December 30, 2011, 01:14:10 PM

There are some big problems with using gribs. Probably biggest is that they don't show fro ts and systems.

Sorry... error due to typing on the phone.  That should have been "don't show fronts and systems."

the weather fax maps are free also, and if you already have a laptop on board (perhaps a big if), the hardware to receive them totals less than $100 US.  A small ssb receiver and a cable is all that's needed; the software to decode the signals is free.

These are ocean scale high seas reports and 24 hour and 48 hour forecasts.

I don't think the limitations of the gribs put them anywhere near in the same category as the synoptic charts....the gribs are MISSING data that at least I would find useful offshore.

The other big thing (and related to the above problem) about gribs is that they are JUST computer output numbers.  They lack the 'experienced eye' of the forecaster looking at the data and saying, "okay, with this front coming in right here, the computer model is underpredicting the flow in this region" and that sort of thing.

It's JUST digital output.

It's cool to stick with gribs if you know the limitations and have the forecasting prowess to fill in the gaps of what they do not provide.  For my part, over time I've just found myself looking at them less and less since I end up looking for the fronts and such on other products anyway.

As always, YMMV.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

ntica

ntica

I have been re'thinking about this Grib/SSB... Quite a hugh investment but...
I read about the Icom 802 any other suggestions on this matter?
The KAITO is no where to be found in Sweden.
What radio would you prefer is bought new today? for resonable money?

Captain Smollett

Quote from: ntica on January 19, 2012, 03:34:19 AM
I have been re'thinking about this Grib/SSB... Quite a hugh investment but...
I read about the Icom 802 any other suggestions on this matter?
The KAITO is no where to be found in Sweden.
What radio would you prefer is bought new today? for resonable money?

Kaito cannot be ordered online?  I believe someone sells them in Europe, at least in the UK.  I've seen a UK manual.

Or, how about this:

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,3530.0.html
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

ntica

oki... I missunderstood >:( Yes They're in Sweden!