News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Recommending Too-Small Anchors

Started by Captain Smollett, February 05, 2012, 07:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

No surprise that an article on Peater Smith's web claims Peter Smith's desigh is the most clever and other similar anchors are 'cheap knock offs.'  Given the 2010-2011 fiasco with with Rocna's use of lower grade steel than Manson...to the degree that Rocna changed ownership AGAIN, I don't know that we should be quoting this article as an authority on anchor designs.

Back to the original point of this thread, though...it was a question about the marketing of anchors and how that can impact the purchasing decisions of new boaters.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

mitiempo

Still pretty accurate descriptions of most anchors.

Was it lower grade than Manson used or just lower grade than Rocna stated it was?
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

Captain Smollett

Both. Do search here for Rocna Fail and read the links within the thread.

The folks now making Rocna anchors are now working hard to rebuild the brand.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

mitiempo

The same factory is producing Rocna's as before. The brand ownership is different, actually a local company here in B.C.

David_Old_Jersey

Quote from: mitiempo on February 18, 2012, 12:38:34 PM
Was it lower grade than Manson used or just lower grade than Rocna stated it was?

The problem was that it was lower grade than what Rocna had spent the previous X number of years claiming was essential (for the design) and what made their Anchor the best, and why it justified a premium price.......and doing so in a manner that made a Jihadist on speed appear normal  ;D

Because they were trapped by there previous (OTT?) claims they did not tell the customers that the Anchors were now made underspec (which ironically may still be perfectly good!) - and only slowly (and grudgingly) acknowledged the issue once customers started getting there own Anchors tested - and the results posted on the Internet. I think the position was further confused by blaming an Employee / a rogue batch.

Nowadays the Anchors are still made in China, in the same factory that made the "rogue" Anchors - except now the Rogue Specs are the official ones....but still at the same premium price.

IMO could be a good anchor in there somewhere, but an Anchor not something I would want to "take a punt on" - especially not at (still) premium prices. heck, given Rocnas manner of doing business I would think twice about buying a spoon from them!

Rick Westlake

darn ... I wish Jo?o of Ancora Latina were still alive!

Halcyon, my Bristol 29.9, had a 10-kg Delta when I bought her. I am not pleased with that anchor. The first time I anchored out overnight, it dragged so completely that I was almost put on the rocks! I managed to recover the anchor, and motored in to my slip at my marina - a story in itself.

I took the Raya Tempest 800 anchor off my MacGregor 26X, for a trial, and anchored very well with that hook. The Raya Tempest is quite similar to the Manson Supreme, except that it breaks down and can be stored in a small anchor well - which is why I used it on the Mac. (Jo?o's old specifications said that the Raya Tempest 800 was enough anchor for Halcyon in 60-knot winds.  I would LOVE to have a Raya Tempest 1000 or larger on-board Halcyon, as a "storm" anchor - but I digress.)

If Peter Bruce hadn't lost so darn much trust in his choice of Chinese foundries to make the Rocna, I very well might have bought a suitable Rocna as my new anchor on Halcyon. As it was, I didn't trust the Rocna, and so I bought a suitably-sized Manson Supreme.

I will say this about the spade-style anchors:  They hang on like grim death!  I generally have to haul up until the rode is straight up-and-down, then let the wind-and-wave action pull the anchor out of the bottom while I raise the mainsail and roll out the jib.

mitiempo

You mean Peter Smith - designer of the Rocna.

I think I will pass on a Rocna and purchase a Manson Supreme as well.

Chattcatdaddy

Manson Supreme is my choice. Rocna has really dropped the ball. Too bad it was and still can a great anchor, but doubt is not something I want running thru my thoughts with my anchor.
Keith
International Man of Leisure

ntica

rorik

Quote from: rorik on February 06, 2012, 04:59:50 PM
Mathilda, a CD28, has a 35# CQR on 30' 5/16 BBB and 400' of 1/2" 3 strand. Secondary is a 22# Danforth on 30' of 5/16" BBB and 200' of 1/2" 3 strand.

I misstated my specs above.
CQR is on 50' of 3/8" G4 and 400' of 1/2" 3 strand.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Frank

For what it's worth.... I love my Delta !    But I have a 10KG (22lb) on a 3500lb boat. i have used the same anchor on my Flicka (6500lbs) without problem as well. Your 29 would do better with the 35lb. I find that laying it down, paying out chain as you drift backwards and good scope work well. don't "back it in"....let it work in.  Many others here use Deltas and love them.....BUT "that's the typical anchor story"  ;-)   Just like politics and religion!!  Best anchor to use is the one ya trust when it's blowing 35+ and raining....only you know which one that is. For me....it's my Delta   ;-)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Chappy

I have a Delta 14 on my 24ft very heavy disp. boat which drags in the New England bottom. The last two summers I have stayed up to many nights while dragging in the wind with a 6/1 scope and a lot of chain. Last week I ordered a 22 lb Rockna from West in Portsmouth NH that the locals tell me will more than do the trick. The Manson is also very highly rated but won't fit on my boat because of it's height ( it hits the drum on the furler ).