News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Soggy Salt

Started by Plover, February 11, 2012, 10:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plover

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a solution to the soggy salt problem we've been having. We live aboard and we have yet to find a way to keep the salt shaker from becoming a sodden mess. We have used rice (unsuccessfully) and the little silica packets that came with some electronics (better than rice). We bought a shaker with a plastic lid and now we spoon the salt out of that.  I don't know ... maybe we need to go salt-free. It's supposed to be better for you. ::)
Cathy, Chris & Major (the weiner dog)
s/v Plover (24 ft. 1966 Custom Atkins Ketch)

s/v Faith

I 'acquired'* a salt shaker from a restaurant in Marathon that has a spring loaded lid and a rubber gasket.

It is like these, but has a gasket (this gives you the idea);

I think the key is keeping some of the moisture out of the salt, as the rice will never be able to absorb all the moisture from the air.

* I asked to buy one, and was given it by the waitress...
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Ok, I found it.

This is exactly what the one looks like that I have;

So far I have only found links where you can order then by the case... maybe a kitchen supply company could help?

Here is what to search for on Google; Salt/Pepper Shaker, 1-1/2 Oz., Moisture Proof
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Plover

Hey thanks for your quick reply! I googled "hinged lid salt shaker" and found Traex Company's Dripcut Salt and Pepper Shaker. I don't know if it has a gasket but for $3.39 I'm willing to give it a try. If that doesn't work, we should be passing through Marathon in a few months and we'll see if we can find that waitress :D

David_Old_Jersey

Use a salt grinder (and rock salt)

A squillion designs - all pretty much the same as a pepper grinder.

gpdno

+1 on the grinder  ;D

I use one for salt, pepper and of course my coffee  ;)
Gregory
s/v Family Time
Watkins 27
Venice, FL

CharlieJ

Another solution (grin) put put forth by Jim Brown (designer of Searunner tris) years ago in his Sea Steading booklets, (from the 70's) was to simply make a super saturated salt solution and just shake drops of that out from a small sprinkle bottle.

We used a snap lid shaker much like shown, for the years aboard Tehani
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

JWalker

Plover

Lehman's Non-Electric has those flip top salt/pepper shakers.
Go to www.lehmans.com to see them.
We didn't buy a set because we had already gone with the salt grinder with a lid that has a rubber ring.
It has worked very well but now my husband says I use too much salt  ???

I did buy one of Lehman's "washing machines." I just got it yesterday and I can't wait to try it out.
It looks like a toilet plunger but has a screen for water/soap to pass through.

Their website is very interesting.

Sid T

We put the salt shaker and a silica bag in a zip lock bag. works for us. about 2 times a year we redry the siica bag in a microwave.