Latest news concerning the Berserk and Jarle Andhoy

Started by w00dy, February 20, 2012, 10:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

I couldn't find a recent thread on the topic, but if there's one I missed, feel free to merge this one in.

Apparently, the dauntless Norwegian skipper is at it again. Here's a good page with many links and some very recent updates concerning his latest expedition:

http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/10s/berserk.html

From what I have gathered he may be evading the authorities of several countries and defying international law by returning to Antarctica without approval.

Though many in the sailing community and peanut-gallery-at-large consider him irresponsible (among other things), I must say I admire his style and hope things go well for him this time around.

Oldrig

Thanks for posting this.

I was absolutely fascinated by the book Berserk and deeply saddened when I heard of the loss of the sailboat. But, IMHO, this is just crazy. Jarle may have been one of my heroes, but it seems to me that he is now endangering himself and others.

At least he's alive (I thought he had been lost on the boat), but at this rate, I'm not sure how long he will be.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Godot

I see no moral issue here. He may be endangering himself. That is his right. The others on board are responsible for their own well being. They know the risks and signed on anyhow, which is their right.  I say more power to them. 

If this expedition also comes to a bad end, it will be unfortunately; but no more a tragedy than those who get caught in an avalanche in Washington, drown while SCUBA diving, or disappear while sailing small boats far offshore. All the naysayers will shake their heads and tut tut about how irresponsible they were. Just the opposite in my eye. They are taking absolute and full responsibility for their lives, or, if things go very wrong, their deaths. heck, they aren't even packing an EPIRB.

So they flaunt government rules. Frankly, governments by nature are full of busybody dream killers. Screw 'em. So they take far more than the average risks. It's their lives to lose. Who are we to say it's a bad idea.

Freedom is wonderful.  Some people want to live on the edge.  Let them.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Steve Bean

Actually it's a little more complicated.  The Norwegian yacht left New Zealand in such a hurry that they
"shanghaied" a New Zealander mechanic who was on board working on an anchor. He does not have proper clothing for antarctic weather, and the boat is not equipped with an an EPIRB.  That last point is because the skipper doesn't want to cause risk to rescuers if they run into trouble.

Godot

Quote from: Steve Bean on February 23, 2012, 09:00:09 PM
Actually it's a little more complicated.  The Norwegian yacht left New Zealand in such a hurry that they
"shanghaied" a New Zealander mechanic who was on board working on an anchor. He does not have proper clothing for antarctic weather, and the boat is not equipped with an an EPIRB.  That last point is because the skipper doesn't want to cause risk to rescuers if they run into trouble.

That info seems outdated. From one of the latest entries...

...but it seems that the Kiwi on the trip south didn't end up aboard the Nilaya accidentally...the 150kg heavily tattooed Maori, who worked on the Berserk last year, actually was invited on board by Andh?y (12 February stuff.co.nz story). On 13 February the rest of his story comes out (stuff.co.nz article), the guy is Busby Noble, a Mana Party (leftist Maori party) activist, who took a Mana flag with him. And actually planted it in the shelf ice, which they had reached on 9 February.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

w00dy

Just checked the latest:

Apparently, Nilaya's rig has been damaged and the boat has turned back toward Antarctica for repairs and refueling.