News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

echosounder

Started by ntica, March 30, 2012, 01:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntica

Hi. I'm ready to install my echosounder... The transducer directly to the hull (from the inside) and put some epoxi around it, is this wise? the angel/sounder will then be kind of "out of line". heard about someone who sead put it in a tub/pipe with some oil...then the angel will be right! What kind of oil then? anyone of you know?
best solution?

Captain Smollett

Quote from: ntica on March 30, 2012, 01:43:26 PM
Hi. I'm ready to install my echosounder... The transducer directly to the hull (from the inside) and put some epoxi around it, is this wise? the angel/sounder will then be kind of "out of line". heard about someone who sead put it in a tub/pipe with some oil...then the angel will be right! What kind of oil then? anyone of you know?
best solution?

I don't think the angle matters.  The manual that came with my transducer, specifically designed to be mounted inside, said an angle of 15 degrees was certainly within spec.  It does not matter if it's "out of line."

If you choose to mount it in oil, which I don't think is necessary, use mineral oil.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

ntica

Thanks for answering... the spec. do not say about the degress. but I'll go for the "without oil" install.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: ntica on March 30, 2012, 03:13:51 PM
Thanks for answering... the spec. do not say about the degress. but I'll go for the "without oil" install.

Make sure you fully embed the transducer in epoxy..no air gaps.  That's the point of the oil as well.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain