Boater Gets $930 Fine For Boating Accident Death

Started by Captain Smollett, February 28, 2006, 10:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I heard about this on the radio today, and I've searched hard for a link but could not find one.

On Labor Day, at around 2 am, one boat collided with another resulting in a man being thrown overboard.  He subsequently drowned.

Today, the 'skipper' of the boat that caused the collision was sentenced to a fine of $930.  He was found guilty of going too fast   and failing to keep a proper lookout.  I think, though I am not sure, the boat that was hit was anchored.

Less than $1000 for causing a collision that resulted in a man's death seems a bit light to me.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Pixie Dust

Something does not sound right with this one.  Maybe there is more to the story....
???  Keep us posted if you hear anything more. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

CapnK

That does seem like a extremely lenient penalty, especially since a death was involved.

Why am I not surprised?

(Yes, that's a redundant question. Someone's lawyer was better than someone elses lawyer, I'd bet... Sheesh...)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

starcrest

I need everyone's honest opinion---when the girl that was living with me on my ariel back in 1983----she fell off the dock  and drowned during a seizure----I wasnt supposed to be living on my boat----do you think I was responible for----- ??? :-[ :-X >:( does that count as a boating accident--
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

hearsejr

it depends on which watch dog groups wants to push what new bill in the senate.  I wouldn't blaim you one bit for anytthing like that becouse it could have happen while crossing the hiway and she got hit by a mack truck ...or feel off a skywalk at the grand canyon
Bill

s/v Faith

Quote from: starcrest on March 26, 2006, 12:14:18 AM
I need everyone's honest opinion---when the girl that was living with me on my ariel back in 1983----she fell off the dock  and drowned during a seizure----I wasnt supposed to be living on my boat----do you think I was responible for----- ??? :-[ :-X >:( does that count as a boating accident--

Eric,

Obviously, it is not possible for anyone to know what happened, or should any pass judgment as to who's fault it was.  I do believe that there is a great lesson to take away from what happened.

One must 'know thyself' before they ever step aboard a boat.  The fact of the matter is the the sea does not care.  I am frequently guilty of setting out for 'just a daysail' with little thought about the risk.  One time last December I was going forward, single handing, and lost my footing (the furler line makes a good roller).

I did not think about it too much as it happened, but as I was sitting back in the cockpit I realized that even though I am very competent in the water, I may well have died of hypothermia had I fallen overboard (cold water, over a mile to shore).

The Capt'n is responsible for his crew, but the bottom line is that we each must understand, and come to terms with our own limitations.  This applies equally to a circumnavigation, daysail, or just stepping aboard the boat.

It sounds to me like your friend did just that.  She knew the risks her illness presented.  She choose to continue to place herself in that position anyway.  Why?  Maybe it was for the same reason I continued to sail even after I realized I might die if I fell overboard......

She made her decision.  In her case it allowed her to live, and die as she choose to.  It sounds like you just happened to be present as she did so.

(sorry for the long reply)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

starcrest

thanks for the reply.for a long time I kept having this recurring dream that I was responsible for someone's death. {thats putting it in user freindly terms}that was a long time ago.believe you me---I was interrogated by two homicide detectives rite there inside the main salon of the ariel-----they played "good cop bad cop" tape recorder and all-- and the next day I pedaled my tenspeed up to the police station and was cleared of all wrong doing.that was the beginning of the harasslements by the ventura harborpatrol----and the evil eyes by the neighbors-----imagine this tho-----2 years later------I went sailing.I will soon be checking out boats in and around lake mead.I am specifically looking for an ariel or a triton. ;)
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"

oded kishony

There's an Ariel  offered on Ebay: Item number: 4624924322   

It's located in Ohio. So far the price is right. I bought my Paceship on Ebay and it turned out quite well. One thing I did was to hire a repair guy who worked at the marina to take a look at the boat for me (since I couldn't go there and check it out myself) He took moisture meter readings and was able to give me much more info than if I'd gone and personally inspected the boat.

Good Luck

Oded Kishony

oded kishony

DANG! Here's ANOTHER Ariel being offered at a " buy it now" price of $2K  on Long Island.

Ebay Item number: 4626099837   

Oded Kishony

starcrest

I will look for a boat here on the lake or in southern california.I lived there for 15 years.the cost of bringing a boat overland from anywhere else would be too prohibitive.