News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Ham Radio Exam....prep?

Started by Cruiser2B, May 20, 2012, 07:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser2B

I am looking into getting my Ham Radio General license. I will be studying for the next 3-6 months. I plan to take the test at the end of the year. I was wondering how long you all studied and what training material and sources you used to prepare. I have a backround in electronics, both navigation and HF comms with the navy.

Thanks SF

www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

jpfx

I would recommend the arrl ham radio license manuals (make sure you get the current editions) and I bought a phone app for exams:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Cstructor.com+LLC&hl=en

I haven't taken the exam yet but I would be very surprised if you needed more than a few weeks to test for technician and maybe a few more for general. You can take them both at the same time (time permitting). If you pass the first, you can sit the second in the same session.

Whether you learn the meat behind 'it' all is up to you. Unless you have multi-meters, soldering irons and a bench supply already (not that you need them but that your interests are in that field already) then I'd argue the case for learning what you need to pass only.

Sooner

I'd recommend the "Ham Test Online" course. You can get it for tech , general etc. Took the Tech test last Saturday and didn't find any questions that I wasn't prepared for.  Did the study portion of the program thursday/friday evening (about 8 hrs total) and one of their test exams - makes it all very easy -
jim
Hunter 23 little Sooner Central Texas trailer sailor
Cape Dory 27 Sharryn Freeport Texas
Youth is not needed....just wonderlust!  Keep going...have "wide eyes"...enjoy the moments. Frank

Monovasia

I did the on line course as well....Gordon West has great courses too...studied for two weeks, no problem...6 months seems like overkill...HF is simply GREAT...come down and join us!

George
KA3ZHX
Live slow, Sail fast

Cruiser2B

Quote from: Monovasia on August 24, 2012, 01:30:48 AM
I did the on line course as well....Gordon West has great courses too...studied for two weeks, no problem...6 months seems like overkill...HF is simply GREAT...come down and join us!

George
KA3ZHX

Yes, It sure is and was overkill, but i was in Afghanistan.....needed something to keep my mind off all the BS going on around me! I am taking my exam at the end of Sept.

roverhi

I used the online practice tests.  Spent a solid day taking the tests over and over.  Took the test the next day and passed both the Technician and General.  Muat have done well as they wanted me to take the Extra Class exam also but demurred as I figured I'd reached my level of incompetence and the Extra Class exam would have been pushing it.  I'm not a technical genius and really kind of dumb when it comes to electronic theory but the test was no big thing after the practice exams  Learned the basics about Ham radio from the practice tests but took getting on the air and embarrassing myself and additional studying to get comfortable using the radio.

jdsackett

They're a piece of cake now. they don't do a code test anymore and the questions are multiple choice. Read the ARRL book and do it. No problem.

SalientAngle

dah dit dah dit, dah dah dit dah... CQ,, still have my audio oscillator and paddle... cheers, 73s

CharlieJ

At one time, I was a radio operator on an Navy aircraft flying the North Atlantic, and  used CW. I MAYBE remember 5 letters. That was, of course, in 1962 ;)

One does tend to  forget what one doesn't use ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Travelnik

Does Ham Radio really get used that much?

I got my Tech license in 1994, and bought a 2 meter hand held from Radio Shack right after that. I was really disappointed that no one was using it!

I would hear the occasional 1 or 2 people talking, but other than that, it was dead. I gave up on even messing with it in 1996.

It's hard for me to think about getting a higher license, and throwing a lot of money down on equipment that isn't going to be used.

So, is it really worth it all?   :-\

Sorry for the hijack!

I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Cruiser2B

Going for my exam this morning, we'll see how it goes

jdsackett

dah dit dah dit, dah dah dit dah... CQ,, still have my audio oscillator and paddle... cheers, 73s

Yep, me too, lol. Rarely use a mike. Was talking to a guy in Italy one time and his English wasn't any better than my Italian. Could only understand about every 4th or 5th word. Put the mike away and set my key back up. Dit dah is an "A" all over the world, much easier in my opinion. Regards, J.D.

Cruiser2B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passed Tech license today, take General in December. Looking for a rig now. I will buy a ham radio for now and then buy a marine unit when I eventually start cruising. I like the idea of the low power DX type stuff. I will then have both units aboard. I will get my call sign I guess in a few weeks.

Thank all for your input

Travelnik

I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Cruiser2B

I'm official as per fcc webpage KK4MEX ;D

Travelnik

Congrats again!  ;D

Dean - KC7HAZ

maxiSwede

s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Michael Homsany

About Bebi Electronics-Winners of the Democratic Government of Fiji's Annual Unique Exporter of the Year Award!
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/about.html