News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Battery connection question

Started by Grime, June 12, 2012, 09:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grime

A friend has a starter battery and 2  house batteries in parallel. She has a switch that has 1 Both 2 and off. Now 1 on the back says battery 1 Both says Battery 2 Now #2 says Feed.

I have the parallel batteries connected to #1 Both is empty #2 is from the starter battery.

Is this correct or do I have thing all messed up?

Real simple answer please.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Tim

David on the back, 1 should go to one battery 2 should go to the other and "Feed" should go to your panel or fuses etc.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Grime

Thanks Tim

As I understand house battery to Number 1 Starter battery to Both and the panel wire to Feed or Number 2   

How do you charge the house battery?  When running the motor do you put it on Both?
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Tim

Quote from: Grime on June 12, 2012, 09:54:51 AM
Thanks Tim

As I understand house battery to Number 1 Starter battery to Both and the panel wire to Feed or Number 2   

How do you charge the house battery?  When running the motor do you put it on Both?

David you are losing me with this part "Starter battery to Both and the panel wire to Feed or Number 2" Not saying there may not be some special wiring plan when using an alternator (Don Casey speaks to this, but as far as I know 1 goes to 1 and 2 goes to 2.

And yes you put it on "both" to charge.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Grime

Then where does the wire to the panel go?  I'm at a total loss here.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Tim

This from googling, pictures always help  ;D

W.A. Ward

Grime

Thanks Tim that really answers a lot of questions.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27