News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Sheet to Tiller or Windvane

Started by Cruiser2B, June 15, 2012, 08:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman

What boat do you have, Hondo, and where do you sail? 

I have done very little sheet to tiller because the Potomac River gives few opportunities to maker long tacks.  The bungee's and blocks are on board, though, just in case.  My MacGregor also tends to round up, but if the wind is not too strong, I crank the swing keel up a bit, which moves it backwards, and changes the balance of lateral resistance and center of effort.

Sailing a friend's boat on the Chesapeake Bay, I could get it, a heavy full keel, shoal keel sloop, to hold a course pretty well with the jib trimmed too tight, and the main loose.  This gave up about a quarter of the speed with proper trim, but allowed preparing and eating food.

A sloppy rudder is a major issue for sailing control, I had about 5 degrees, which not only annoyed me, but drove the tiller pilot crazy on some wind and sea conditions.

Norman

CharlieJ

I've used sheet to tiller for a long time. I'm on a new computer, with no pics saved or videos saved  . but I've used sheet to tiller offshore for as long as three days with little to no  adjustment.

Also sailed on Mississippi Sound using the technique.

have a tiller pilkot, and it does a great job, but I still carry the STT set up aboard, just in case.  Hope to see you on chat tonight. Norman might even make it too.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Hondo76251

I've got an early Mac 26D. She's a little rough and pretty bare bones, still using the woefully inadequate and very worn out factory rudder so that doesn't help me. 

I learned to sail while stationed in California. I had plans of being a charter boat captain in the Caribbean in those days... (married a girl who was going to school down there to be a doctor) but life's got its twists. I'm now back home running the family ranch in WY. Most of my sailing the last 10 years has been up here, small lakes and Rivers. I've sailed a little down south (TX, LA) where my oldest boy and his mamma live.

I'd never get the chance to use any sort of auto helm in this area, but I'm planning on getting out a little farther in the future. I'm working on the Apostle islands next year so I've got a lot of work lined up to do on the little Mac this winter.

Since she's a "D" I can't put my center of effort aft like a swing keel, but I think I like the way she sails better than many of the swing keels I've been on. (although I've never been on a 26S) I like how I can sail in shallow water with the board mostly up and keep my center of effort in  the same spot. Even a few inches of that board in the water makes a huge difference.

I've sailed on quite a few boats, never for very long, but had quite a variety. I feel like this little "D" sails amazingly well for what she is. Once you get used to the water ballast you realize that this little boat can sail with the best of them.

Once I have the new rudder I probably won't complain about the weather helm as much. BUT I still can't help feeling like the rudder, even though upgraded, will still be exerting a lot of the force required to keep her sailing true.

I know I sound daft, in a world where people are going for roller furling, I'm talking about a cutter with hank on sails. Despite a rough life and ton of injuries, I'm still young and pretty fit. I LOVE sailing just for sailing, constantly playing with trim, shape, helm, sailplan....  seeing what I can get out of tired old boat and tired old sails...

Hope to make the next chat, busy time of year shipping cows so we'll see!

Captain Smollett

For what it's worth, there are quite a few Sheet to Tiller threads/posts scattered about here on SailFar. I think at one time we tried to consolidate them all into one thread, but creep happens.

Add me to the list of STT practitioners.  I've used it successfully on two boats, though one (the Alberg 30) self steers pretty well with no special gear at least close hauled in mild air.

Lechter's book is the Bible on the subject; it's a wealth of engineering knowledge writ relatively simple.  Someone with an aviation background I think would appreciate his approach.  (Btw, my son is an aspiring pilot; he's got about 10 hours so far).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Grog to your son!

Edit

NOT WHILE HE IS FLYING!
🤣🤣
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

I carry Lechers book aboard, and have another copy here. as JR says- the bible
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Hondo76251

Aviation is, like sailing, one of those things that can get in your blood. Always nice to find fun, fulfilling, and rewarding things to do in life. Good luck to your son!

Good tip on the book, Thanks! I ordered a copy on Amazon today.I need a few good winter reads for the long cold nights...  (If my shop weren't so darn cold maybe I'd spend some of that time fixing the old boat!)

When I first go the Mac it seemed like it had a lot of rake in the mast. The first day I put her in the water I wasn't too sure about my purchase!  The mast had been damaged in Katrina and had a few feet cut off. I assumed this rake was due to the repair so I got it back as straight as I could. I didn't learn till much later that the rake was the way they came...   Thing was, I found she sailed MUCH better once I put the mast near vertical and gave her a little bend...   Not much I could do about the rudder or sails without a fair bit more $$$ i didn't have then, but tuning the standing rigging and mast did wonders. I'll probably have to start fiddling with the tune all over again when I get new canvas and rudder! Only then will I try the sheet to tiller...

Is the mast on the 26 S raked as much as I've seen on other Macs?

sharkbait

Sheet to tiller works best with longer keel boats, I had no luck on my Cal.
Never tried windvane as it would screw up my swim platform.
The TP10 by simrad works fine . 
No wife, no kids, no debt.

CharlieJ

Works pretty well on my Meridian. This very short video is us in the Gulf of Mexico. Worked well for several days:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PhBRB1qkpk
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera