News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Latitudes&Attitudes

Started by Sunset, June 21, 2012, 10:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunset

I heard today that Latitudes and Attitudes went belly up. Hope it's not true. Anyone else heard this?
84 Islander 28

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Oldrig

Having spent seven wonderful years working for a boating mag that went belly-up, I can only say that this is sad news. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think that the only way to keep a small-market magazine alive is if you run it, and yourself, into the ground, rely on freelancers or free-writers and subscription revenue.

The two best examples I can think of are Practical Sailor--which lives on its high subscription price--and Good Old Boat--which relies largely on the blood, sweat and tears (as well as love) of Jerry and Karen, plus loyal subscribers, who often contribute to the magazine.

If you think the answer is to go online, look at the fate of Madmariner.com, which suddenly disappeared (at least I did get paid for my one contribution). Two of my former colleagues have been running a web "magazine" for the past two years--and they're still on shaky ground in terms of finances.

This is indeed a scary time to be in the publishing business.

Best of luck to those who try.

--Joe

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

David_Old_Jersey

I only heard about Latts & Atts magazine in passing via Forums - I think enough to get a handle on there angle. I am sure if the founder wants to resurrect it (or a legally close enough version) then he will be able to.

The view I take on the future of publishing (big and small) is that the magazine (online or on paper) has to use at least some of it's main product (Advertising space) for it's own direct benefit rather than simply selling it to others to make a profit on. If the advertising space is actually worth money to someone else, then it is also worth money to a publisher - and I am talking beyond simply branded leisureware  ::).

Of course the traditional journalists might balk at the idea of the business getting there hands dirty (but life and business moves on - suck it up!) - but no reason why good editorial policy can't hold the line (for maintaing quality / objective content) for the publisher who is also selling buckets or widgets (or whatever sells) in addition to selling advertising space for others to do  the same. Doesn't have to be as overt as own shop, but can be - and no need to stick to simply one approach. a dollar here and a dollar there soon enough adds up to good money - who cares where it comes from. and the beauty of online is that the copy does not go quickly into the bin.......it's online 24/7 - selling 24/7......year in, year out.......just have to include quality content around the adverts - without going advertorial.

CharlieJ

We haven't heard the entire story apparently-

Always 2 sides to every story, this from LATITUDE 38...

"We asked both Mr. Bitchin and Mr. Doran for comment on the current situation. We haven't heard back from Mr. Bitchin. But this morning Mr. Doran sent out the following email to a number of people in the industry:

"As you may or may not know, Latitudes & Attitudes has ceased operations until further notice. Mr. Lipkin (Bitchin) has violated the terms of our purchase agreement from almost the beginning, and continues to act with impunity in violation of the agreement. Mr. Lipkin's blatant disregard for the integrity of our agreement has regrettably forced us to take this action. I cannot comment further due to the impending legal action being contemplated against Mr. Lipkin, but you can be assured that there is a decidedly different version of events, which are supported by facts, other than what is being propagated by Mr. Lipkin."

In an additional note to Latitude, Mr. Doran wrote: "As you may already be able to surmise, there is a lot to this situation that has yet to be revealed. We are currently exploring all of our legal options against Mr. Lipkin for his breach of contract and libel. Unfortunately, the rumor mill is in full force, and there is precious little that can be done at this time to quell it."

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2012-06-22#Story2
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Sunset

Check out this link and what an insider has to say about this D J and his domestic partner that distroyed L&A in six months.

http://www.seafaring.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24564
84 Islander 28