News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Dinghy Plans

Started by bristol27, July 03, 2012, 05:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bristol27

I am looking for suggestions for dinghy plans.

I would like to build an excellent cruising dinghy.  It must have the following characteristics:
+  Sails
+  Rows
+  Can be stowed in a deck area of about 4' (between the mast and doger, on the cabin-top).  Likely meaning the dinghy must be nestable.
+  Buoyant when flooded
+  No engine mount necessary (will use wind/human power only)

Might you have suggestions for designs I could investigate that meet the above characteristics?
www.bristol27.com <- My sailboat project site cataloging the rebuilding of a classic fiberglass sailboat in preparation for circumnavigation.

Captain Smollett

B and B Yacht Designs has several that meet your criteria. You can add your own flotation.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Second B and B

Here's the link-

http://bandbyachtdesigns.com/

Look under yacht tenders

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

If you will PM me with your email, I can send you a few designs that I have on hand. Here are some additional features that you might consider:

-leeboards instead of a centerboard trunk. This is a less complex solution that will translate into less weight and while increasing interior volume. You can strap the leeboard(s) underneath one of the dinghy seats to get it out of the way.

-instead of foam floatation, watertight compartments for buoyancy. Then, utilize small access hatches so that you can stow your sailing rig, sail, oars, anchor etc inside the dinghy. This will allow you to stow everything with the dinghy, but it will be out of the way and will save space on your boat too. When you come ashore, you can stow your oars and gear so that potential thieves find an empty boat, which is harder to row away with. Perhaps you could even stow your ditch/survival bag inside in case you have to abandon ship quickly.

-Four strong eyebolts, one in each corner. Combined with a bridle and a halyard, this will help get your boat off the deck and into the water in a controlled fashion.

Equator

CLC Boats has some beautiful designs that I've been keeping in mind. At 57" nested, this one might be over your limits but it meets your other requirements.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/eastport-nesting-dinghy.html

Pete
There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage - Mark Twain

CharlieJ

The Eastport is a beautiful dinghy, but not all that simple to build. I've done one of them, and a couple of B and B boats, and the B and B's are far simpler.

But the Eastport sure is pretty. Didn't know John had added a nesting version.

Kits from either shop are good value by the way.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Equator

Thanks, it's good to hear feedback from someone who's built both. I'll add B&B to my list for consideration.

pete
There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage - Mark Twain

Michael Homsany

Let's not forget Danny Green's 'Chameleon', although it might be a touch long as well.

I did this out of aluminum, http://www.bebi-electronics.com/rtt.html, but I've also built one out of the more conventional glass over ply as well.

I did build a Danny Green 'Two Bits', but that was 30 years ago now, and any photo's went with the then-wife 20 years ago now.

Phillip and Leslie on Carina wrote up a good article about them in 'Good Old Boat' a few issues back ago.
About Bebi Electronics-Winners of the Democratic Government of Fiji's Annual Unique Exporter of the Year Award!
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/about.html

Tim

Looks to be a great rower. The length would such an asset if required to go any distance.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Sunset

I built this 10N spindrift for my brother.
84 Islander 28