Connecting a handheld Garmin to a PC

Started by Cruise, July 08, 2012, 06:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruise

I am having no luck interfacing my Garmin 76 Map handheld to my laptop. I am trying to connect it to PolarNavy, but it just won't make the connection. The GPS says it is interfacing, but PolarNavy is not receiving it. I have had the same problem with other online chart sites. Any ideas?
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

SalientAngle

polar com worked fine and recognized my gps puck on winderze7
now, it did not like my garmin... after investigating the polar faqs, i discovered this:
-----------------------------
Only if your Garmin device provides data in NMEA 0183 format. Many Garmin GPS devices provide data in proprietary Garmin format. For these devices you will need to use another program or driver to convert Garmin data format into NMEA 0183 for use with PolarCOM.
- On Windows XP you can use Garmin's Spanner utility
- On other systems you can use a utility such as GpsGate.
Some Garmin GPS devices allow user to select between NMEA 0183 and Garmin data format in device configuration. Please see your Garmin GPS user guide for details.

-----------------

that said, here are those links (and, I will test as well)
spanner utility: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1627
gpsgate: http://gpsgate.com/products/gpsgate_client

------------------------------------------------
yet anther edit, like christmas morning after many yuletide grogs, I pulled out the garmin manual, and, on page 44 (interfacing) I find the list of nmea0183 approved sentences... avast !!! now, on the free polar com config, do not find that option; so, will download that 30day preview of the full blown gig... ps, I like seaclear

SalientAngle

oh sheets, grog fog, mea culpa... much easier... on your garmin, go to menu, then setup, then system, then interface, and toggle away from the default choice, you will see nmea choice ... sorry it took so long to distill (literally, and figuratively) in my feeble grey matter... verified it on an eeepc here in scenic north cackalacky...

Cruise

Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.