Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

aft extension

Started by Wade, July 24, 2012, 07:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wade

Hello All,
  I'm new here but love the site. I live on board a 31 Bombay Clipper (10,000 lb dry displacement) for over 2 years now. The PO installed a 15 hp merc outboard when the Yanmar diesel crapped out. I do not know what happened but the controls were removed and tank pulled the engine is a big rusty lump sitting there. The merc performs well enough for now. I intend to pull the engine to get rid of the weight and build what amounts to a swim platform across the transom over the engine. I'll have a removable center section to service and lift the engine if need be. I like this idea because the kids can jump off without  tromping through the cockpit and it could be used for extra deck space ,storing lighter bulky gear. I am on the Tennessee River and don't expect to be offshore any time soon. I havn't seen this done on any smaller boats and am wondering if I am missing something obvious. It should also deflect some engine noise.  Curious as to what ya'll might think.    Wade

Snapdragon

Hi Wade, and welcome aboard!
I've done something similar with my Snapdragon 26.  I needed a way to climb aboard from a tiny (8 ft) kayak, so I built it out of synthetic decking from Home Depot and attached it to 2" square aluminum tubeing with deck screws.  I made the hinges out of 3" aluminum channel with large S/S bolts for hinge pins and supported it with S/S chain.  It's mounted just above the waterline, which works fine for the kayak, but it really needs to be higher for the Zodiac and to keep it out of the water when in choppy conditions.  It ain't pretty, (which is a common theme in my projects) but it works pretty well and folds up out of the way when not in use. 
The big boat always has the right of way!
"Puff"
1970 Thames Snapdragon 26, twin keel

Wade

Hey Snap,
      It looks fine to me. I carry 2 kayaks on hooks off the stanchions. works well and keeps the deck clear. I am gonna set my platform as high as I can, use removable stanchions so I can have gear tied or let the kids play. I will prob use aluminum tubing and deck with teak or more likely stained and finished ply.  Ugly and cheap is my recurring theme/ I redid a cabin sole on a old hunter 25.5 with the synthetic material. It was heavier than expected/ but after I frame this all up I may revisit the idea.    Wade

David_Old_Jersey

Pics of your boat would be nice  8)

Over here a few small boats have s/s frames over the stern (and over the o/b). The purpose is to hold the dink, usually an inflatable. This boat (from memory) is around 23 foot:-

Obviously not quite what you after, but just need to plank in the gaps  :P