News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Source for low voltage solar panels?

Started by ralay, August 31, 2012, 07:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralay

Our composting head should supposedly have a vented hose with a fan running at all times.  There was a fancy Nicro solar fan installed when we bought the boat, but it wasn't working.  After troubleshooting it, I narrowed down the problem to the solar panel itself.  It's a little 2V panel and while it's still putting out 2V, it doesn't put out enough amperage to operate the fan anymore.  Well, one of the new day/night solar fans costs a ridiculous $150 at West Marine.  $150 for a switch, a diode, a 2V panel, and a tiny, little motor!  I found an $8 2V, 200mA cell at Parts Express that will power the fan nicely, but it doesn't look well sealed enough to survive on the boat. 

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=320-158

I'm afraid that most of these 2V panels are intended for science fair projects and not for outdoor use.  Anyone know another source for small weatherproof panels?  For $8, should I just squirt this one full of silicone and see how it goes?

CharlieJ

:o :o :o

Not silicone, please!!!

when ya'll gonna be back down?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

nickmerc

Any solar cell will produce about 1.5V no matter the size.  Depending on how they are wired (series or parallel) will control the voltage.  Area is what gives you amperage.  I am in the process of repairing three of the day/night vents.  All of which failed after 6 - 9 months.  I got the first two replaced free of charge from Nicro but gave up on the third one.  I found the PV cells to function fine, but the motor to be the issue in all of mine.  Double check and make sure the cells are what is failing.
--------------------------------------
Nick
1974 Pearson 30 #517
'Blue Bayou'

ralay

It's definitely the panel.  Ours was a model that had a C battery charged by the solar panel to run the fan during the night.  I popped in a fresh battery in and the motor came to life.  I clipped out the solar cell and inserted the battery into that circuit - the motor ran.  The new solar cell also powered the fan, but though PartsExpress calls it "weatherproof," it looks awfully open to the elements.  Nicro has stopped making this particular vent since whoever bought ours, so they have no parts for it.  Where are you buying your solar cells for your repairs?  I found some "waterproof" cells on ebay that look much better sealed.  I'll give them a try.  Maybe it'll buy us another 6 months for the motor to wear out.  :P

John Bailey

I just bought a 5 watt solar panel on Amazon.  It was $46 and is the same one they sell at West Marine for $69.  I'm going to hook this up to the battery when not using the boat and I believe it will keep the battery topped off while I'm not at the boat.  I have a composting head also and decided it was much more effective to keep the battery topped off along with running the composting head then to pay the $150 for the Nicro Press.