News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cruise Food report

Started by Bill W, September 05, 2012, 06:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill W

As I mentioned earlier today, we spend 2 weeks on board in August.

Food worked out well. Had ice for 3 days. Figured out later we didn't need the coolers at all. Even with 80 degree weather.

Quote from: Frank on September 05, 2012, 03:36:45 PM
I like your "beer cooler" idea!!!   Simple is good   ;D

Needed a small rock to sink them, otherwise they were pretty well neutral bouyancy.

Also had small cheese chunks vacuum packed at the deli 250 grams or so. Enough for 2 days lunches/snacks. The unopened ones went down with the beer when anchored or down next to the hull when sailing. The opened one kept well for a day or two.

Worked on peeling a cabbage for "greens" in stir fries, stews, wraps etc. Stayed great for 2 weeks. Brought a 1/3 home. Again down below the waterline, next to the hull, but with air circulation. 5 carrots kept well along side. Did not get too limp. Same with some red peppers for the first week.

Picked plum type tomatoes at home in various degrees of ripeness. Put them in Pringles chip tubes or similar, separated by paper towels. Left the caps off most of the time. Ate the last one on the 13th day.

Canned chicken, tuna and the previously discussed precooked bacon were the meat proteins. We make use of a small pressure cooker for legumes (mung beans, chickpeas), make a curry with them as the base.

We make up a bannock/biscuit mix (flour, baking soda, salt, milk powder), and use it for pan biscuits, pancakes, and cake (cooked using 2 pots and some nuts for spacers)

Our galley is the cockpit and we cook on a single burner alcohol stove (Trangia)

I fished several times, but not seriously, so no luck. Walleye and pike in the coves, some trout in the deep water. Small boat demands small gear. So I have a short kids size rod and spinning reel, and an old "Pocket Fisherman", given to me by my father in law. Can cast 25-30' with it.

Makin' Time
Montgomery 17
Ontario

CharlieJ

Very nice pics and post. Is that a BakePacker?

Couple of points

Cabbage will keep for weeks. Just peel off the outer leaves and discard as they turn brownish.

Onions keep for a LONG time- problem is finding smallish ones. Groceries seem to sell huge onions.

Red potatoes keep way better than white ones
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bill W

Quote from: CharlieJ on September 05, 2012, 08:07:38 PM
Very nice pics and post. Is that a BakePacker?

It is a Trangia. Series 25. www.http://trangia.se/english/5612.25_series_ul.html.
Ours is aluminum pots with stainless insides. Don't think they make it now. Just all aluminum or with non-stick innards. Don't like that.

Couple of points

Cabbage will keep for weeks. Just peel off the outer leaves and discard as they turn brownish.

Onions keep for a LONG time- problem is finding smallish ones. Groceries seem to sell huge onions.
That's right. And we had a bag of small ones, picked and dried about 2 weeks before we went, same with garlic. Also some ginger root. [/b]

Red potatoes keep way better than white ones
Interesting. Thanks
Makin' Time
Montgomery 17
Ontario