News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

PropSpeed Review

Started by Oldrig, November 08, 2012, 11:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldrig

This spring, after replacing my prop (along with the shaft, cutless bearing and engine mounts), I decided to try PropSpeed, an expensive product that is supposed to keep barnacles and crud off the prop. I split the cost with my friend (and boat repairer) Rich, who has a Cape Dory 28, and another guy with a non-Alberg hull.

Rich hauled his boat just before Sandy came up the coast--and he reported that his prop was "absolutely clean." I hauled my boat on Tuesday. I got to the yard just as the boat was being pressure-washed, and  looked at the perfectly clean prop. When I asked the young lady who was doing the pressure-washing, she said she hadn't even cleaned the prop.

One of the yard managers was standing there. He said that I should be able to get another season out of the PropSpeed.

In years past I've always had barnacles and slime on the prop. The worst was the year I put nothing on the prop: It looked like a grapefruit and I had to don mask and snorkel and chip off the little b*stards. Second-worst was the year I tried anhydrous lanolin. Pettit zinc spray worked pretty well for several years, but PropSpeed seems to be amazing.

I will be submitting a more complete report, with photos, to Practical Sailor. But I thought SailFarers would be interested in this interim report.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

CapnK

Joe -

I missed this until now. Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like a good product.

I would be interested to see if it works as well down here. I think the whole "Jack's beanstalk" myth must have started from some poor local boater watching his hull and running gear getting nearly visibly covered in minutes in our warm, nutrient-rich waters.. :)

I'll spread the word.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)