News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Interior paint question

Started by lastgreatgeneration, December 21, 2012, 12:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastgreatgeneration

I need some information on what kind of paint to use on the outboard well. I will be painting inside lockers and maybe the interior as well. I have read somewhere that the 2 part "garage floor" epoxy paint is really good and cheap substitute for the marine version. I was thinking about going the two part epoxy route, its $45 for 1.5 quarts. This paint may also be easy enough to apply and look good easily with minor surface preparation.

Also, if I painted the unfinished fiberglass in the fore peak, would it apply thick enough to smooth it out some? I don't feel its necessary to go through the trouble to sand the rough unfinished glass. I just wanted some thoughts and opinions on the matter. What has worked for you as far as value and durability?

SalientAngle

I had good results with behr exterior plus grade semi-gloss enamel...

CapnK

I've heard that as well about the garage paint, and seen pics of boats where it has been used with success. IIRC, CJ uses a "Porch and Floor" paint, but I do not know if it is an epoxy (of any parts), and/or how well it would hold up to a very watery location.

CJ?

Jim, does the Behr product dry really hard? My brother owns a commercial painting business, and he's told me that the 'science' of latex enamels has made big advances since I worked for him 15+ years ago, that there are a bunch of house paints these days which should work good on boats, being remarkably tough even though water-based.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

I've used ACE Porch and Deck, which is an oil modified polyurethane. Really some tough stuff. I prefer it , and consider it an equal to, Brightsides. Covers better, and costs MUCH less. The outer hulls on my trimaran, and both kayaks are painted with it.

A friend repainted his PSC 25 with Glidden P and D after she was damaged in a hurricane- did a nice job

Remember- this stuff is designed to be walked on.

Still not sold totally on acrylic latex OUTSIDE, but I suppose it'll do fine. Inside, that's all I've used for years.

As for covering unfinished glass with a "thick enough" coat of paint? No way. Won't work. Won't cover well, won't dry well. Multiple thinner coats, perhaps, but a THICK coat of paint is asking for trouble. Now, some high build primer first? That's another deal.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera